Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tommy_g
Helper V
Helper V

Paginated Reports: Execution Time vs Time to Execute

Is there a way to capture execution time for a Paginated Report, as it runs on the service?

We have a complex report, broken into multiple sub-reports.

I can run each independently and would like to capture execution time, as in the difference between running the report and the time rendering has completed. I know the "meta" answer right now, namely "too long". 

I know how to do this in an Event Driven report such as Access. I don't see any event driven behavior surfaced to the developer in Report Builder. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Helpful in that one of the links references the @Now function. Since the report has 6 subreports, I imagine there will be different values which can help approximate elapsed time. Of course I don't know what happens behind the scenes, there might be a lot of setup which elapses before the first @now function call happens. I know some (or all?) report writers use at least two passes, to calculate total page count and build a document map with page links. Sadly, no document map in PBI Paginated. Since bookmarks are not supported either, it may be the case that pages are rendered one at a time. That's what appears to happen when viewing in Page format on the server.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @tommy_g ,

I found these similar posts which provide some methods, please kindly refer to:

PAGINATED REPORT EXECUTION TIME

Paginated reports date and time returns GMT timezone on PBI service

Execution Time Changes on PBI Service for Paginated report

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful in that one of the links references the @Now function. Since the report has 6 subreports, I imagine there will be different values which can help approximate elapsed time. Of course I don't know what happens behind the scenes, there might be a lot of setup which elapses before the first @now function call happens. I know some (or all?) report writers use at least two passes, to calculate total page count and build a document map with page links. Sadly, no document map in PBI Paginated. Since bookmarks are not supported either, it may be the case that pages are rendered one at a time. That's what appears to happen when viewing in Page format on the server.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors