Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MLorenzen
Frequent Visitor

Paginated Report in PBI Service - Column Header Rendering Issue

Hello all,

I'm working on adding a new report to a (Premium) Power BI Service workspace, but it's having rendering issues.

The report is a paginated report that works and renders fine locally when designing and testing it with Power BI Report Builder.

Here's a sample of the design of the report with the Advanced Mode for row/column groups shown:

MLorenzen_0-1629323812019.jpeg

It's important to note that columns A-J have conditions under which a column will not be visible (in the actual report, the condition is if the sum of the values of the column is zero, meaning there's nothing worth showing).

The issue I'm encountering is that, in the Power BI Service, certain column headers are rendering as blanks or are shifting when one or more of the A-J columns are hiding:

MLorenzen_1-1629324003074.jpeg

Notice that the actual data is correct; columns C and D have their visibility conditions triggered, and no Cs or Ds are appearing in the body of the tablix. However, as is evident in the screenshot, the column headers are shifted, leaving blanks and even hiding colum headers for I and J.

Interestingly, this rendering issue does not persist to Page View / when exporting the paginated report:

MLorenzen_2-1629324094638.jpeg

I'll also add that I've tried experimenting with the KeepTogether, KeepWithGroup, CanGrow, and various other properties in hopes of finding a solution. I've also manually examined the .rdl's XML (via NotePad) to no avail - nothing jumped out at me as being off.

Has anyone encountered this issue before or have any insight into why it might be happening and how it could be fixed? Or should I report this via a ticket if it appears to be a bug?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Update as of 11/01/2021:

It appears any strange rendering in the Power BI Service for my examples has been fixed, with no changes to the reports themselves. Marking as resolved!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MLorenzen
Frequent Visitor

Update as of 10/08/2021:

It seems that an update to Power BI has resolved the example I provided, though I am still experiencing an issue with the following layout when rendering in the Power BI Service:

MLorenzen_1-1633729941253.jpeg

It's important to note that the "gap" between the Current Month and Prior Month sections is actually just a blank column - both sections are part of the same tablix. I've also edited the photo a little bit to include dummy values.

Still, though, the column headers are clearly being displaced and the third column header in each section is being squished (I've disabled the height growth on those cells, otherwise the third header takes up a large portion of the screen) or not even included on the screen as it gets "pushed out" so to speak.

Again, testing locally in Microsoft Report Builder, the layout is perfectly fine.

Update as of 11/01/2021:

It appears any strange rendering in the Power BI Service for my examples has been fixed, with no changes to the reports themselves. Marking as resolved!

v-xiaotang
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @MLorenzen 

when the sum of the values of the column is zero, it should display as bellow? 

vxiaotang_0-1629697695425.png

I'll test later to see if I could reproduce this problem.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Tang

Yup! Like that, with no discernible white space in the column headers, and the values matching the column header above them.

Thanks for taking a look at this!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors