Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

deepakn1079
Regular Visitor

Paginated Report for Dynamics 365 online - Cannot publish - Invalid Credentials

I have been trying to publish a power BI paginated report to power BI Service it doesn't seem to work . I ve built the report with the power BI report builder . It works fine with the azure databse and i can preview the report . I can also connect to the azure SQL with Sql managment studio . But when i imported the RDL file into the Power BI service it keeps throwing the error that 

Failed to update data source credentials: Login failed: Request is not authenticated.

please help 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That is odd. I just tried publishing and working with a Dataverse report and seems to work fine. Does your connection string have an initial catalog? Would be the name of your environment without the crm.dynamics.com and should be added by Report Builder by default.

If you can get the activity ID, I can try and look at traces. Show Details should have it.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
bradsy
Employee
Employee

There is slight difference in behavior when choosing the Dataverse(CDS in older versions of Report Builder) and Azure SQL for you Dynamics data source. I suggest changing to use the Dataverse extension type, then uploading and setting credentials. You will see that the Basic option is gone.

Hello @bradsy , 

Thanks for the update . i tried changing the source to dataverse and you are right that the basic option is  gone ..now it shows datasource defaults to CDS with authentication method as oauth2 ..however the issue still persists  . i.e i can connect from power BI report builder but not from Power Bi service when i try to publish ...screens attached .  please advise Power BI report builder - connection succeededPower BI report builder - connection succeededBI service - connection failedBI service - connection failed

That is odd. I just tried publishing and working with a Dataverse report and seems to work fine. Does your connection string have an initial catalog? Would be the name of your environment without the crm.dynamics.com and should be added by Report Builder by default.

If you can get the activity ID, I can try and look at traces. Show Details should have it.

Thanks a lot ..that nailed it ...and by the way the power BI report builder wasn't adding the initial catlog to the connection string .and it was connecting successfully so i didn't didn't think about it ...any ways based on the clue u gave above i added the initial catalog manually and it works now ....i have posted the screen below ..may be this could help someone who faces this issue .Thanks a lot once again for your timely help . 

deepakn1079_0-1613630443346.png

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @deepakn1079,

What type of credential authorization mode are you used in your report dataset?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly 

If you mean 'service principal', current power bi does not support this. Please change to use REST API with 'service principal' token string instead.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

hi @v-shex-msft ,

The report is a power BI paginated Report  . It is working absolutely fine in the Power BI Report Builder and i am able to connect to the D365 online data verse environment with TDS enabled and  also am able to connect using SQL management studio . The issue happens when i tried to upload the Rdl and  publish report to Power BI service .i can't run report ..i  also tried changing the autenticated method to oauth2 , still no luck ...so my question is does power BI service support paginated report  for such scenario ...

connection Success in PwrBI Report Builderconnection Success in PwrBI Report BuilderConnection Failed in Power BI serviceConnection Failed in Power BI service

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors