cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reply
JDawsonAVA
New Member

Paginated Report Upload Error - ReportWithDisplayNameForTheModelExists

Hi - I have a Paginated report which I created in Visual Studio as I prefer the design experience in that environment.

It's inline with all of the documented limitations i.e. no shared datasets, links, drill-throughs etc.

 

I've been using the File Upload process in the Service to load up to the workspace, and this has worked fine previously.

Now I am getting the following error:

 

ReportWithDisplayNameForTheModelExists

JDawsonAVA_0-1646238744037.png

Can anyone advise if there is a change on the service, or what might have changed to prevent upload?


Many thanks


James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JDawsonAVA
New Member

Hi - @MLorenzen 

 

After posting this, I found a similar workaround myself. For me, deleting the original didn't help, but I found if I made a copy of the report - added a classic "v2" to the name, I was able upload just fine.

 

So it seems to be a bug in the service rather than the result of any particular feature within the report.

 

At least there are a couple of work-arounds here now for others that may run into the same thing.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
shiboli
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hello, thanks for reporting this, we are investigating the root cause of the issue. Are you hitting this when using PBI Web portal in a fresh opened browser? 

Hi @shiboli - yes, I was using Edge in fresh browser page.

Thanks for confirming, the bug is fixed. Will be available in prod in next couple of weeks. Before fix is deployed, re-upload again in same browser session should successfully trigger the replace workflow. 

I am seeing this same error today. What is the fix here?

JDawsonAVA
New Member

Hi - @MLorenzen 

 

After posting this, I found a similar workaround myself. For me, deleting the original didn't help, but I found if I made a copy of the report - added a classic "v2" to the name, I was able upload just fine.

 

So it seems to be a bug in the service rather than the result of any particular feature within the report.

 

At least there are a couple of work-arounds here now for others that may run into the same thing.

MLorenzen
Frequent Visitor

I've also been running into this problem. This process was working fine up until a week or two ago...

 

It's not ideal, of course, but I've been able to get around this by deleting the previous version of the report completely and uploading the new one in its place afterward. That will avoid the "already exists" error, but again this is definitely something that should be looked into since it was working fine before...

 

I don't know if I would mark this as a solution, by the way, since it's more of a hack to avoid the problem than actually a solution.

Helpful resources

Announcements
August 2022 update 768x460.jpg

Check it Out!

Click here to learn more about the August 2022 updates!

August 1 episode 9_no_dates 768x460.jpg

The Power BI Community Show

Watch the playback when Priya Sathy and Charles Webb discuss Datamarts! Kelly also shares Power BI Community updates.

Power Platform Conf 2022 768x460.jpg

Join us for Microsoft Power Platform Conference

The first Microsoft-sponsored Power Platform Conference is coming in September. 100+ speakers, 150+ sessions, and what's new and next for Power Platform.

Top Solution Authors