Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BM4291
Resolver I
Resolver I

Paginated Report - SharePoint Online Datasource

Hi,

Following some issues with a SharePoint Online list growing beyond 5k items I'm looking at different ways of delivering a report to end users; at the moment they have a custom UI that has been developed within an app whereby they select a report, filter it with parameters and the system can export an Excel file. This is all handled through JavaScript and REST.

Certain views of this report can no longer be queried as they break the 5k limit; short of coding in a solution to filter an array of all results (as select all is unaffected by the limit) I was thinking about creating a pagniated report that used SharePoint Online as a datasource, however it's my understanding that this isn't possible... Has anyone else had experience with using SharePoint Online and paginated reports? I can't connect using SSRS 2012 and recently had SSRS 2017 removed so can't see whether it's an option.

I could just set up an ordinary PowerBI report for this data however, a significant amount of it is shared with external parties and we do not currently have Azure B2B configured. The external users would need to see a list of entries for a period.

Any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @BM4291,

I'm a little confused about your scenario.

It seems that you used to use SSRS create the report and you now you want to use Power BI to create the report similar to the report created in SSRS?

Following some issues with a SharePoint Online list growing beyond 5k items I'm looking at different ways of delivering a report to end users; at the moment they have a custom UI that has been developed within an app whereby they select a report, filter it with parameters and the system can export an Excel file. This is all handled through JavaScript and REST.

For the option you mentioned, " whereby they select a report, filter it with parameters and the system can export an Excel file", I think that is not supported in Power BI. In Power BI, we always use slicer to filter the data.

I was thinking about creating a pagniated report that used SharePoint Online as a datasource, however it's my understanding that this isn't possible... Has anyone else had experience with using SharePoint Online and paginated reports? I can't connect using SSRS 2012 and recently had SSRS 2017 removed so can't see whether it's an option.

In addition, I'm a little confused about your pagniated report, if you mean a long report is divided into many pages, I'm afraid that cannot be achieved in Power BI currently. Power BI Report Server could create pagniated report, but it cannot use SharePoint Online Source.

Finally, for your scenairo, you'd better post in Power BI Developer where you could get more professional help.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-piga-msft
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi @BM4291,

I'm a little confused about your scenario.

It seems that you used to use SSRS create the report and you now you want to use Power BI to create the report similar to the report created in SSRS?

For the option you mentioned, " whereby they select a report, filter it with parameters and the system can export an Excel file", I think that is not supported in Power BI. In Power BI, we always use slicer to filter the data.

I was thinking about creating a pagniated report that used SharePoint Online as a datasource, however it's my understanding that this isn't possible... Has anyone else had experience with using SharePoint Online and paginated reports? I can't connect using SSRS 2012 and recently had SSRS 2017 removed so can't see whether it's an option.

In addition, I'm a little confused about your pagniated report, if you mean a long report is divided into many pages, I'm afraid that cannot be achieved in Power BI currently. Power BI Report Server could create pagniated report, but it cannot use SharePoint Online Source.

Finally, for your scenairo, you'd better post in Power BI Developer where you could get more professional help.

Best  Regards,

Cherry

Community Support Team _ Cherry Gao
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-piga-msft,

You've answered my question!

'Power BI Report Server could create pagniated report, but it cannot use SharePoint Online Source.'

What I was asking was can I create a paginated report using SharePoint Online as a datasource; seems to be something distinctly missing. I was going to use a paginated report in the same way that you would a traditional report server report to replace the custom report I currently produce.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors