Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Paginated Report - Expression In Connection String

We are trying to use Power BI Paginated reports for our paginated reporting solution.  In SQL Server Reporting Services (the technology Power BI Paginated reports are based on) you could define your Data Source connection as an expression that used parameters in the report.  According to this Microsoft documentation this is also supported in Power BI Paginated reports - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/paginated-reports-embedded-data-source

However I have not been able to get it to work.  In that document it indicates the Report Builder Data Source properties windows should have an 'expression' button (just like it the Visual Studio SSRS editor does).  However when I look in Report Builder I do not see this button.  However I can just enter my expression in the connection string box.

I verified that I had my connection string expression correct by running the report in the Visual Studio SSRS editor (Report Builder does not support running reports with connection expressions).  However if I attempt to upload .RDL file to our Power BI instance I receive an error saying the definition of the report is not valid.

Annotation 2020-02-19 163647.png

I am sure that it is the connection string expression causing this error because if I edit the report to make the connection string a static connection string, then I am able to successfully upload the report to Power BI.

My questions, is the Microsoft documentation wrong, and Power BI Paginated reports do not support connection string expressions?  Or is there some other step I need to take?

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

On Power BI service, we cannot use expressions in connection string for RDL reports. At this time we do not have plans to provide a fix for this issue.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TOK
Helper II
Helper II

@Anonymous Please check your Report Server version and compare it to your Report Builder version.

I had similiar issues, but was able to deal with them by downloading the matching report builder.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@TOKWe are using Power BI in Azure for our server, not Reporting Services.  Do you know how we would go about checking our Report Server version in that scenario?  I did check to make sure that I am on the latest version of Report Builder, and I am.

On Power BI service, we cannot use expressions in connection string for RDL reports. At this time we do not have plans to provide a fix for this issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it now possible to use an expression in an RDL string?

hi Hannes, this is still not possible. Thank you for posting at Microsoft Idea (powerbi.com). In meantime, you can try workaround here based upon your use case and security considersations by using SQL Linked servers and change the source table in query with fully qualified name (server-database-schema-table). 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you rpatkar.  Much appreciated.  Will try the workaround, as per your suggestion.

v-diye-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous 

Please kindly make sure you are using the latest version, and here are some articles could be your reference :

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/data-connections-data-sources-and-connection-strings-in-report-builder?view=sql-server-2014 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-builder-expressions 

If not helps, please raise it to the support team for better advice:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/ 

Support Ticket.gif

Community Support Team _ Dina Ye
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors