Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

abpgupta
Post Patron
Post Patron

Paginated Report: Excel Output as Tables

Hi All

I noticed when we download Excel output from Paginated report, it doesn't create Excel tables for outputs. Because of this, when we use it in Power Automate to read, we have to add additional steps to convert to table to read and extract information and run into other issues.

When we download excel from Power BI Desktop, output excel have table name by default and can be used.

Is it some specific settings or type which can enable Excel output to have table name for Paginated reports as well? 

Thanks for inputs!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Please create a pixel aligned table in paginated with loaction 0,0 and column width in round numbers or 1 decimal only eg 1,1.5,2in . Also please do not merge any headers in groups that you create. This would help create a valid table output. Click Advanced mode in groups to verify your settings as below :

AbhiSSRS_0-1617129476255.png

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
setis
Post Partisan
Post Partisan

I have exactly the same question and I can figure out how to export as an exel table to be able to use it from Power automate. 
I get the data exported but without the proper table formatting. @abpgupta did you figure it out?

Yes, in Paginated Report, I created a dummy column with value as 'ALL' for export. creating it at (0,0) position ensures there are no additional blank rows to deal/filter with.

Then in Power Automate, used "create table" giving a suitable high range with custom table name.  

Then used List value present in table with filter on dummy column (eq 'ALL') to exclude blank rows from table. 

Now with this output , you can populate data to other steps.

AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Please create a pixel aligned table in paginated with loaction 0,0 and column width in round numbers or 1 decimal only eg 1,1.5,2in . Also please do not merge any headers in groups that you create. This would help create a valid table output. Click Advanced mode in groups to verify your settings as below :

AbhiSSRS_0-1617129476255.png

Hi i have created 1 table and 2 matrix for our users internal analysis of purchase order data. but when i m exporting to excel columns are merging can you help me formating those tables?

tejutulasi67_0-1686586265857.png

Hi @AbhiSSRS , do you have a sample report? I tried several times and not able to export the report to table.

Thanks,

UY

It doesn't work at my end as well. I am using Power automate Functions to convert to table. 

Do you have a screenshot or sample that you can share?

Thanks,

UY

Thanks @AbhiSSRS  for information! I will try this and see it works.

As of now, I used Create Table function in Power Automate with removing blanks to  assign a table name to it for further processing.

GoAvs
Frequent Visitor

Same question.  Would like to use results in a Flow to include text like "report returned X value" in the flow-generated email. As I understand Flow can only import cells/rows from Excel Named Tables.

mohammedadnant
Impactful Individual
Impactful Individual

Hi @abpgupta 

Paginated report will export the table exactly to each cell in the excel.

it will happen only when you design the report correctly.

for an example: if you design the report like this below image,

the 1st column will split into 2 due to the title of the report, 

try to place the objects in place to export exact result in the excel.

mohammedadnant_1-1616756800389.png

Thanks & Regards,

Mohammed Adnan

Learn Power Platform for free: https://www.youtube.com/c/taik18

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!! !!

Thanks & Regards,
Mohammed Adnan
Learn Power BI: https://www.youtube.com/c/taik18
v-yuaj-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @abpgupta ,

I did a test. If I understood it correctly, do you mean to have a clear table without any formatting?

v-yuaj-msft_1-1616746932544.png

v-yuaj-msft_2-1616746984342.png

Best Regards,

Yuna

@v-yuaj-msft , I meant to format as Table so that Power automate can recognize various tables created in Paginated report and can be used further to extract data. 
in desktop report export data does it; however, we have to download one by one manually. I think Paginated Report can provide automated way to extract excel outputs for multiple tables in a report and send custom data alerts. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors