cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kpavang

Paginated Report Builder

Hi,

I'm trying to create a new report with the new Power B report builder tool with Oracle as a datsource. When creating a new dataset the option to choose the "tables" is grayed out? I can just write/import  a sql query or a stored procedure.

Is it the limitation when using Oracle as suupose to other data sources?

Thanks!

PG.

5 REPLIES 5
luisrh Helper V
Helper V

Re: Paginated Report Builder

This is probably a limitation of the driver that you are using.    Some other DBs drivers also don't have that capability.

The best thing is to use a view or define the SQL directly - even for SQL Server which is a first class citizen when it comes to supporting table views and SQL generation from that view.

good luck!

Luis

Power BI Team chrisfin
Power BI Team

Yes, this is related to the specific driver used for the Oracle provider.  There has always been limitations like this for non-Microsoft SQL datasources in RB.

kpavang

Thanks for the reply @chrisfin . Do you know if there anything in the roadmap to update the oracle driver used to be able to select tables. TIA. - PG.

kpavang

Thankyou @luisrh 

luisrh Helper V
Helper V

You are welcome.   I doubt that there will be support for Oracle downstream the way you expect on the report builder side.   There are enough differences between the SQL syntax and if the Oracle native drivers don't support some of the features that the builder requires,  then it will also be a problem.   My suggestion is you use a tool outside that may generate the SQL for you, then you can paste into ReportBuilder query.   Query Builder is such a tool -

https://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/db/sqldev/r30/SQLdev3.0_Querybuilder/sqld...

Good luck!

Luis

Helpful resources

Announcements
New Ranks Launched March 24th!

New Ranks Launched March 24th!

The time has come: We are finally able to share more details on the brand-new ranks coming to the Power BI Community!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

‘Better Together’ Contest Finalists Announced!

Congrats to the finalists of our ‘Better Together’-themed T-shirt design contest! Click for the top entries.

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Arun 'Triple A' Event Video, Q&A, and Slides

Missed the Arun 'Triple A' event or want to revisit it? We've got you covered! Check out the video, Q&A, and slides now.