Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kpavang

Paginated Report Builder

Hi,

I'm trying to create a new report with the new Power B report builder tool with Oracle as a datsource. When creating a new dataset the option to choose the "tables" is grayed out? I can just write/import  a sql query or a stored procedure.

Is it the limitation when using Oracle as suupose to other data sources?

Thanks!

PG.

5 REPLIES 5
chrisfin
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Yes, this is related to the specific driver used for the Oracle provider.  There has always been limitations like this for non-Microsoft SQL datasources in RB.

Thanks for the reply @chrisfin . Do you know if there anything in the roadmap to update the oracle driver used to be able to select tables. TIA. - PG.

luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

This is probably a limitation of the driver that you are using.    Some other DBs drivers also don't have that capability.

The best thing is to use a view or define the SQL directly - even for SQL Server which is a first class citizen when it comes to supporting table views and SQL generation from that view.

good luck!

Luis

Thankyou @luisrh 

luisrh
Responsive Resident
Responsive Resident

You are welcome.   I doubt that there will be support for Oracle downstream the way you expect on the report builder side.   There are enough differences between the SQL syntax and if the Oracle native drivers don't support some of the features that the builder requires,  then it will also be a problem.   My suggestion is you use a tool outside that may generate the SQL for you, then you can paste into ReportBuilder query.   Query Builder is such a tool -

https://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/db/sqldev/r30/SQLdev3.0_Querybuilder/sqld...

Good luck!

Luis

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors