Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nerra
Helper II
Helper II

PPU User sharing content to organization workspace?

Question: Can a PPU user publish large dataset >1 GB in the normal Workspace, build reports on top of it and share the content? Or does this large dataset has to be within his personal diamond workspace?

Kind regards,

Nerra

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

@nerra,

next to all the licensing questions, you need a Premium/PPU workspace for a dataset > 1GB. So a shared/regular workspace will not work at all.

Further:

• If you deploy to a PPU workspace, only people with a PPU license can consume.
  • If you deploy to a Premium capacity workspace, people don't even need a Pro license if you publish an App on top of the workspace.

But as you know, there's a huge price difference in those two. So depending on the number of users for your workspace/reports you'll have to decide which one suits your needs best.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
nickyvv
Community Champion
Community Champion

@nerra,

next to all the licensing questions, you need a Premium/PPU workspace for a dataset > 1GB. So a shared/regular workspace will not work at all.

Further:

• If you deploy to a PPU workspace, only people with a PPU license can consume.
  • If you deploy to a Premium capacity workspace, people don't even need a Pro license if you publish an App on top of the workspace.

But as you know, there's a huge price difference in those two. So depending on the number of users for your workspace/reports you'll have to decide which one suits your needs best.

Blog: nickyvv.com | @NickyvV

@nickyvv  Thank you! You have helped a lot.

So in  nutshell,

if your datasets are not large and you don't need to user Paginated reports and refresh data more than 8 times a day, then go with PRO. Everything else.. go with Premium Per Capacity + 1 Premium Per User. 

collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @nerra ,

The answer to this question is based on a number of separate things.  Does the admin allow for sharing?  Does this user have permissions to share from that workspace?  Sharing is dependent on the individuals being shared with - they have to have a license.  If this is a normal workspace, then, users with normal licenses can assess the report.  If a PPU user shares in a Premium workspace, then the users will have to have a PPU license as well.  If the workspace is a Premium workspace based on the organization's settings, then it can be shared with users based on the workspace and not on the user being a PPU or regular user.

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

Thank you @collinq !

I'm researching what's the best option for my client. The documentation is very confusing. 

Let's say I have one Admin who has the PPU licence. All others have PRO licences. 

Can my Admin publish his >1GB dataset and report tied to it to Workspace where the PRO folks can consume it and alter it?

Kind regards,

N

Hi @nerra ,

If something is published to a workspace that is not premium, then PRO users can access that workspace (based on permissions, etc. etc.).  The question is in regards to the size.  There is currently a limit of 1 GB on a normal workspace.  So, is the size of the report that you are looking at pre- or post- condensed?

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

@nerra  - Under PPU liacensing model , Any content that is having premium feature all the consumer also haave to sunscribe PPU.

So If your Admin (PPU) publish dataset >1GB, the Pro users will not be able to consume that

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution, Appreciate your Kudos!!
Proud to be a Super User!!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors