Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mfernandezcdp

POWER BI WITH SQL SERVER

Good afternoon, I wanted to ask you if there is a way to connect a SQL SERVER database with power bi online (without having to do it with POWER BI desktop). If it can't be done, I wanted to know, if by creating the table in power bi desktop (linking it with local sql server) and then publishing it in the web portal, there is a way for it to update automatically. I await your reply. Thanks a lot

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
JosefPrakljacic
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

If I understand you correctly, you want to connect an on-premise SQL server with Power BI?

You could create a DataFlow and then create a report based on that. In my opinion, you would not have to rely on Power BI Deskop.

But I would still recommend you to use Power BI Desktop.

In order to keep the data set up to date, you need a gateway. You can find information on this here.

Please don't forget to give a 👍 and accept the post as solution. (If it helped 😅)
Have a nice day!

BR,
Josef
Graz - Austria

View-my-LinkedIn-profile-image-3-300x140.png.png

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-robertq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @mfernandezcdp 

According to your description, you want to connect to SQL Server database in Power BI Service instead of desktop. I think you can go to “Get data”->” Published dataset” to connect to another dataset that uses Directquery to connect to the SQL Server database. But the prerequisite is that you have configured the gateway for the data source in this workspace. Then you can create a report and display the newest data on it.

If you don’t have access to any dataset using Directquery to connect to the SQL Server database, you can take the advice of JosefPrakljacic to create a Data Flow connecting to the SQL Server database, which is also a possible way to achieve this.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

JosefPrakljacic
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

If I understand you correctly, you want to connect an on-premise SQL server with Power BI?

You could create a DataFlow and then create a report based on that. In my opinion, you would not have to rely on Power BI Deskop.

But I would still recommend you to use Power BI Desktop.

In order to keep the data set up to date, you need a gateway. You can find information on this here.

Please don't forget to give a 👍 and accept the post as solution. (If it helped 😅)
Have a nice day!

BR,
Josef
Graz - Austria

View-my-LinkedIn-profile-image-3-300x140.png.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors