cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Frequent Visitor

PDF Data Source not Refreshing in Service

It's great we can now connect to a PDF file and extract the tabular data but unfortunately when I published my file to the Service it failed to refresh the PDF documents. It actually refreshed all my other data sources successfully and seemingly ignored the PDFs with no error message being generated. 

I tried troubleshooting this by creating a blank report with only one PDF file as the datasource. I published this, refreshed and got the following error message: The import Pdf.Tables matches no exports. Did you miss a module reference?

With the datasource only being in preview, does this mean it isn't compatible with Power BI Service?

2 REPLIES 2
Community Support
Community Support

Hi stephen1606,

To extract text from PDF, you can write a cuistom function in which an R script has been implemented, for details, please refer to: https://www.thebiccountant.com/2018/01/09/use-r-to-import-text-from-pdf-files-in-power-bi/.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

That's the method I am currently using but as the new PDF connector was released in the September update I wanted to test that out. It works perfectly in the desktop but does not refresh once published to Power BI Service.

Helpful resources

Announcements
secondImage

Congratulations!

We are excited to announce the Power BI Super Users!

Wave Release 2

Check out the updates in Power BI.

Overview of Power BI 2020 release wave 2!

Microsoft Ignite

Microsoft Ignite

Join digitally, March 2–4, 2021 to explore new tech that's ready to implement. Experience the keynote in mixed reality through AltspaceVR!

secondImage

The largest Power BI virtual conference

100+ sessions, 100+ speakers, Product managers, MVPs, and experts. All about Power BI. Attend online or watch the recordings.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors