Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

TERRY_HUGHES
Frequent Visitor

PBi Report behaves different in service than on desktop app

TDLR: In the desktop app my report will display/slice by blanks but when I publish, blanks breaks the report

Long version: Report has 2 inputs: SQL query and Excel data table. The SQL query is our product information and the Excel is a living document where our ops team writes what we do with product that hit certain criteria. These data inputs are relation-connected via a Product Key. The SQL has all the current items and the PowerBi report/table should show the related Excel notes if there are and blanks if there aren't.

The Report has an imbedded Power App that serves as a write back to the Excel file, so we can use PBi as a workspace.

TERRY_HUGHES_3-1653070900332.png

The table is data from both inputs. On the desktop app (shown above) we can see that the table displays/filters blank Action and Workspace Notes just fine. The imbedded app detects if there are/aren't notes and directs the user to the correct edit form accordingly when they click the EDIT NOTES button.

Note the Action slicer has an actual blank for the filter choice.

When I publish it (to a premium workspace), things behave very differently:

TERRY_HUGHES_1-1653070018001.png

As can see the Action slicer now shows '(Blank)' in leu of a blank, and both the table and app are completly void of all data. If I filter by anything but blank (including 'Select all') I will get data (except blanks):

TERRY_HUGHES_0-1653071630158.png

The Data source credentials are properly set:

TERRY_HUGHES_2-1653070305734.png

There is no incremental refresh set on this dataset, but there are scheduled ones.

So why is this not working in the service but is in the desktop app? I need the service to show the blanks and allow the user to input them into the app to get written back to the file (and then refreshed in at the scheduled times).

1 REPLY 1
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @TERRY_HUGHES ,

1. I noticed that you are using premium capacity, can you tell me which version of premium capacity you are using?

What is Power BI Premium Gen2? - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

2. If possible, could you try publishing this report to a shared capacity or a PPU capacity workspace and check if it works?

Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors