Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BIanon
Resolver I
Resolver I

.PBIX uploaded from SharePoint is duplicated

Hello Community,

I am trying to switch my production env so that files are hosted in SharePoint and uploaded from SP straight to Service.

1)
If I just download the file, upload to SharePoint and upload it to the service from there I get duplicate model/report with the same name? I didn't think this was possible in PBI Service.
I suspected this was happening because the original had been published in the "normal" manner but see 2:
2)
Even if the file comes from SharePoint and I then re-upload it I get a second version of the same file with the same name.

3) When I upload a .pbix from SharePoint a dashboard is created - apparantly by me - with nothing in it but a link to the report?

Is uploading from SP really this different from uploading from PBI or am I experincing some kind of error here?

BIanon_0-1678803445960.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Names are generally not relevant, for the majority of cases the GUID controls the object. (One notable exception is the XMLA endpoint which uses the workspace name, with predictably hilarious results when two workspaces happen to have the same name).

Once you have "imported" the pbix to the workspace from the sharepoint this will create a virtual connection. Your only action required from now on is to work on the pbix on the sharepoint/onedrive.  Every time you save that a new version will be created (assuming you have versioning enabled on that document library), and the meta data changes will be synchronized with the workspace "automatically".

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Names are generally not relevant, for the majority of cases the GUID controls the object. (One notable exception is the XMLA endpoint which uses the workspace name, with predictably hilarious results when two workspaces happen to have the same name).

Once you have "imported" the pbix to the workspace from the sharepoint this will create a virtual connection. Your only action required from now on is to work on the pbix on the sharepoint/onedrive.  Every time you save that a new version will be created (assuming you have versioning enabled on that document library), and the meta data changes will be synchronized with the workspace "automatically".

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors