Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

sethsanu
Frequent Visitor

PBIX switch from On-premise to SQL Azure still requires Gateway in the service

I have a complex PBIX file that sourced data from a single on-premise SQL Server. I published this file to PBI Service and the dataset requires a gateway - as expected.

I then changed the data source connection in PBI desktop to point to a SQL Azure instance instead. I then published the file to the PBI Service and the dataset is prompting for a Gateway! Not expected. 

I looked at the difference in the M query and both SQL Server on premise and SQL Azure use the SQL.Database method. 

How can I tell the PBIX file or PBI Service that I want to source from SQL Azure and NOT an on-prem SQL Server?

many thanks,

Seth

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

No other sources - just one Data Source in Data Source settings in the file. I even deleted all global data sources.

Workaround: Saved the file as a Template (.pbit), then republished to the service - seems to work and the on-prem source is correctly switched to SQL Azure.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
prihana
Helper V
Helper V

Hi,

Are there any other data sources in the report? Have you removed the onprem datasource completely from the PBI and uploaded it to the cloud?

No other sources - just one Data Source in Data Source settings in the file. I even deleted all global data sources.

Workaround: Saved the file as a Template (.pbit), then republished to the service - seems to work and the on-prem source is correctly switched to SQL Azure.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors