Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

PBI report on top of an OneDrive Excel dataset is not

Hi All, 

I have created a Dataset from the service itself, that points to an Excel file, hosted in my organization's OneDrive.
out of this DS I created a report, using the service-based report designer and saved it.

now it's in my report section in my Workspace.  

I can open it, play with it, share it, and do whatever i desire with it except one little thing:
I can't download it as a PBIX file, as it is grayed-out, and I can only edit it online in the service itself.

Is there a way to do so?
Thanks alot!
Near

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

To download .pbix file from power bi service, you should consider:

1. To download the file, you must have edit access to the report.
  2. The report must have been created by using Power BI Desktop and published to the Power BI service, or the .pbix file must have been uploaded to the Power BI service.
  3. If your administrator has turned off the ability to download data, this feature won't be visible in the Power BI service.
  4. Datasets with incremental refresh can't be downloaded to a .pbix file.
  5. If you create a Power BI report based on a dataset in one workspace and publish to a different workspace, you and your users won’t be able to download it. The download feature is currently not supported in this scenario.

For this case, since you get data from OneDrive and create report in power bi service, it could not be downloaded to power bi desktop as a .pbix file.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

@Anonymous 

Hoping that your uploaded the Excel FIle with "Import" option.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-excel-workbook-files#import-or-connect-to-an-excel-workbook-from-power-bi

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-connect-to-files-in-app-workspace-onedrive-for-business

Please try to check with "Upload" option, SO that we can get dataset and report to view and download the PBIX FIle.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more
If this post was helpful may I ask you to mark it as solution and click on thumb symbol?

BR

venal.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

To download .pbix file from power bi service, you should consider:

1. To download the file, you must have edit access to the report.
  2. The report must have been created by using Power BI Desktop and published to the Power BI service, or the .pbix file must have been uploaded to the Power BI service.
  3. If your administrator has turned off the ability to download data, this feature won't be visible in the Power BI service.
  4. Datasets with incremental refresh can't be downloaded to a .pbix file.
  5. If you create a Power BI report based on a dataset in one workspace and publish to a different workspace, you and your users won’t be able to download it. The download feature is currently not supported in this scenario.

For this case, since you get data from OneDrive and create report in power bi service, it could not be downloaded to power bi desktop as a .pbix file.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

KBO
MVP

Hi @Anonymous ,

If you loaded the data in the Power BI Service you arn't able to load it as dataset. 

If you like to build a report based on an Excel File without gateway I can recommend this article from RADACAD 🙂

https://radacad.com/change-excel-source-in-power-bi-to-onedrive-for-business-no-gateway-needed

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors