Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rotr0102
Regular Visitor

PBI Service / Deployment Pipeline "Missing from test"

Our environment is OneDrive synced to test workspace, then deployment pipeline from test to production workspace. Recently a junior team member deleted an dataset from the test workspace, and then checked in the object (same name) in OneDrive. When she checked it in it synced to the test workspace making it appear. The issue is now when you look at the deployment pipeline we see the dataset in the test workspace with a "new" icon, and the identical dataset in the production workspace with a "missing from test" icon. I'm trying to troubleshoot/resolve and wondering if anyone has an ideas for me.

My first guess is that the deletion/resync in test created a dataset GUID that was different from the previous object and thus PBI Service believes it to be a "new" object, causing this disconnect in the deployment pipeline. I'm not finding much online about how to see historical object GUIDs, or how to "reset" them back (if it's at all possible), or adjust the deployment pipeline so it connects the production object back to its equivalent test object (with a modified guid). Can anyone share any ideas that might be helpful in this situation?

Thanks in advance!

rotr0102_0-1636049377171.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Nimrod_Shalit
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

@rotr0102 today there isn't a good way to solve it beyond deleting the Prod dataset and creating a new one through deplpoyment. If Prod links are extremely importaqnt, what you can do is remove the Test WS and re-create a new WS in Test using 'Deploy to previous stage'.

Having that said, there's a solution coming in few weeks if you can wait until then- you will have the option to assign WSs to multiple stages. This capability also includes 'matching' of items based on name and type. Once this is live, you can unassign and re-assign the Test WS, and it should re-connect the datasets in the screenshot above.

View solution in original post

Thanks for responding.

Yes, and to confirm, reverting to a previous version does not resolve this issue. When I reverted in OneDrive I confirmed that a previous version was synced into the test workspace, but the GUID of the object did not change (revert back to it's legacy version). If the object was deleted and then readded via OneDrive sync it received a new GUID by PBI Service, there was literally no way to get the object assinged to the old GUID that the deployment pipeline was looking for. 

The solution was a backwards deployment using the API. This method also created a testing object with a new GUID -- *BUT* it seemed to update the deployment pipeline to connect the test/prod versions which resolved this issue.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Nimrod_Shalit
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

@rotr0102 today there isn't a good way to solve it beyond deleting the Prod dataset and creating a new one through deplpoyment. If Prod links are extremely importaqnt, what you can do is remove the Test WS and re-create a new WS in Test using 'Deploy to previous stage'.

Having that said, there's a solution coming in few weeks if you can wait until then- you will have the option to assign WSs to multiple stages. This capability also includes 'matching' of items based on name and type. Once this is live, you can unassign and re-assign the Test WS, and it should re-connect the datasets in the screenshot above.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Did you enable version history on your OneDrive?

Thanks for responding.

Yes, and to confirm, reverting to a previous version does not resolve this issue. When I reverted in OneDrive I confirmed that a previous version was synced into the test workspace, but the GUID of the object did not change (revert back to it's legacy version). If the object was deleted and then readded via OneDrive sync it received a new GUID by PBI Service, there was literally no way to get the object assinged to the old GUID that the deployment pipeline was looking for. 

The solution was a backwards deployment using the API. This method also created a testing object with a new GUID -- *BUT* it seemed to update the deployment pipeline to connect the test/prod versions which resolved this issue.

What API was used to do this?

Microsoft recently introduced some new functionality, so the API/Backwards deploy is no longer needed. I just did this a few days ago, and the process I used (again the process described in the thread is no longer needed with the API) was:  delete object from stage workspace, reestablish sync from OneDrive source control into stage workspace which adds the object back into the stage workspace (this fixes the OneDrive to stage workspace portion), then --> the replacement for the API part -- unassign the stage workspace in the deployment pipeline and reassign the stage workspace in the deployment pipeline (this fixes the stage workspace to production workspace part). Obviously, at no point are we messing with the production files since reports are connected to them with GUIDs. The new MSFT update was that when a workspace is added to a deployment pipeline it recreates the links between the object GUIDs based on the file name. So - any objects between stage/prod workspace which are not linked (due to mismatched guids or other reasons) will now be linked assuming they have the same name. 

If you have a different reason for asking and literally want the API i used it was selective deployment with options for backwards deploy:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/power-bi/pipelines/selective-deploy#deploymentoptions

Also helpful to help me retrieve the GUIDs:

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors