Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

PBI Embedded for ISV's DataSet Refresh

Hi all,

We're an ISV with Multiple Customers on our Tenant with their own Workspace.

We've setup a single Service Principal and run Embedded as App Owns Data.

We want to create in our UI, a refresh button that refreshes the Dataset linked to the report in the UI via the Power BI REST call.

We do not want to expose the access token to the UI as Client could then get access to other Workspaces.

Is this possible to do? I can't see anything in the 'Client API' documentation.

We would like to do this without creating back-end API's for the UI to call, and they call the PowerBI API's.

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Henry, but I need to refresh the underlying Dataset, and not just the Report. I can't see any way of doing this other than running the rest API which requires a system wide access token.

We don't use Direct Query, so simply refreshing the report won't refresh the underlying data.

I was trying to work out if the Embed Token can be used to run REST API's, but don't believe it can.

Hi @Anonymous ,

According to my understanding, this is feasible. Refer to the following blog: How To Embed Power BI Reports Into Your Application? (loginworks.com)

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, but as we're using a Service Principal with multiple workspaces (for independent clients), if I give the UI the Access Token, technically users will be able to run API's for ANY Workspaces using the Access Token for the Service Principal (which we cannot do)

v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Hope the solution provided can help you.

Link: 

Solved: Power BI embedded- Apps Owns Data - Microsoft Power BI Community 

Solved: Power BI Embedded Refresh - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

Henry.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors