Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MateuszBI
Advocate I
Advocate I

PBI Developer Tools - Pricing

Hi Power BI users. Can you please tell me how reports embed with PBI Developer Tools to the link are licenced? Does any end-user need to have a Power BI Pro licence or just the user who shares the report/dashboard?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@MateuszBI,

When that embaded is needed? It is like its required for production envirenmnent only? Can you please point relation between this article and embeding?

When you need to view report via thrid-party app, you may need to register an access token and embed your report into the app.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi MateuszBI,

Power BI Embedded is available through Azure. Power BI Embedded includes the Azure-based capacity that you need to deploy and distribute your solution to customers so you don't need to buy premium license.

Who needs a Power BI Pro license for Power BI Embedded and why?

It is required that any analyst that needs to add reports to a Power BI workspace, any developer that requires use of the REST APIs, any tenant admin that needs to manage the Power BI tenant and capacity will need a Power BI Pro license.

Because Power BI Embedded allows use of the Power BI portal for managing and validating embedded content, the Power BI Pro license is required to authenticate the App inside PowerBI.com to get access to the reports in the right repositories.

However, for creating/editing embedded reports inside your own application, the end user does not need a Pro license as he isn't required to be a Power BI user at all.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

I meant that I can embad report with this turorial: https://docs.microsoft.com/pl-pl/power-bi/developer/embed-sample-for-customers actually without aquiring embaded. When that embaded is needed? It is like its required for production envirenmnent only? Can you please point relation between this article and embeding?

@MateuszBI,

When that embaded is needed? It is like its required for production envirenmnent only? Can you please point relation between this article and embeding?

When you need to view report via thrid-party app, you may need to register an access token and embed your report into the app.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

healthEteam
Resolver I
Resolver I

My understanding is that the power bi embedded model is actually not license based but an Azure consumption based service.  Your subscription is through Azure and it is based on a certain number of view refreshes over a timeframe.

Since the visuals are embedded into your application the end user does not have to have a Power Bi pro license (the app uses a token to authenticate with the power bi service).

To develop / publish I still think that user has to have the Power Bi pro license.

I knew more about this a year ago, but havent used embedded so things could have changed.

If so, someone please correct me.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors