Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

OneWithQuestion
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

PBI Apps security- share groups with O365 /sites/ teams or groups? 1 object control both security?

OK, I can add an AD security group to a PBI App when I go update app and for access list that group.

That seems to work fine.

However, I also have another unrelated O365 site that was created as a team site.

How can I use the same security container for both?

Both AD or O365 group or...whatever?

It seems that PBI Apps can NOT use O365 groups for security but they can use AD groups.  However, O365 can't use AD groups for team site security?

Am I doing this wrong?  It feels like this should not be this difficult.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

@OneWithQuestion This isn't specifically my area of expertise, but I believe this link outlines the difference in the groups. Security Groups is what works for sharing (I believe these are domain local), but my guess is that the broad scope of an O365 (Universal Group) doesn't carry the same restrictions that are required to use it in sharing. Example: If i'm not domain bound, I can share with any group that can cross domains... 

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thank you for the reply, but sadly I don't think it matters if the security group is global or universal 😞

O365 Team sites can see the security group, you can add them to it, but they don't seem to "open it up" and grant rights to the members themselves.

I did find if I make a mail enabled security group that works across both Power BI and O365 Team sites...however, it does not seem like every single AD group should have to be mail enabled.

Is anyone else trying to keep the same users in sync between PowerBI Apps AND O365 Team Sites?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors