cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate II
Advocate II

P2 node vs. Two P1 nodes

Hello! We have started to get refresh errors regarding premium capacity being throttled. When we first started using Power BI, a decision was made to split our P2 node into two separate P1 nodes for better load balancing. Could anyone give me any advice as to whether it is better to have two separate P1 nodes or if we would have less errors if we went with a single P2 node? Thank you so much!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi there

It all depends on your requirements.

From what you have mentioned above by having a single P2 node you would have double the capacity, which would possibly get rid of the throttling.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @jjoyce0425 ,

As mentioned by GilbertQ, it depends on your requirements.  We always separating business critical and Self-Service BI (SSBI) into different capacities to prevent the situation where the report is stuck and need to wait. Please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-capacity-optimize

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Super User III
Super User III

Hi there

It all depends on your requirements.

From what you have mentioned above by having a single P2 node you would have double the capacity, which would possibly get rid of the throttling.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Highlighted
Microsoft
Microsoft

Hi @jjoyce0425 ,

As mentioned by GilbertQ, it depends on your requirements.  We always separating business critical and Self-Service BI (SSBI) into different capacities to prevent the situation where the report is stuck and need to wait. Please refer to https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-capacity-optimize

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Conference

Power Platform Community Conference

Check out the on demand sessions that are available now!

Community Conference

Microsoft Power Platform Communities

Check out the Winners!

secondImage

Create an end-to-end data and analytics solution

Learn how Power BI works with the latest Azure data and analytics innovations at the digital event with Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella.

Top Solution Authors