Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Temoryian
Frequent Visitor

Oracle Connection / ODAC 19C

I solved my own issue but I wanted to post it here in the forums to help others as I haven't seen this posted here:

Hello,

My organization recently created a new VM and installed a Power BI Data Gateway on it.  The Data Gateway is active and I can see a success message showing that it is active.  I installed Oracle ODAC for 19c so I have the Oracle Client up and running and the server meets all the requirements listed in the Oracle connection document. 

I am able to create a 64 bit SYSTEM DNS ODBC entry and successfully connect to our Oracle 18c databases.  When I go to create this source under the gateway through the service via ODBC, I receive:

"ODBC: ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified"

When I try and make an Oracle connection, I receive:

"TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified"

I have a system environment variable set up for TNS Names.  I can %echo% that variable and see that it is successful and is located here:  C:\app\client\username\product\19.0.0\client_1\Network\Admin\TNSNAMES.ORA.

It's like the gateway isn't recognizing my tns location or the system variable.  

RESOLUTION:

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/powerbi-docs/issues/2147

ODAC for Oracle 18/19 needs to be tweaked to work. Everything in this link worked for me. Just be careful in step number 4 that you don't have spaces between the command arguments.

(Example: OraProvCfg /action:config /force /product:odp /component:dbproviderfactory /frameworkversion: v4.0.30319 /providerpath: Oracle.DataAccess.dll should have no spaces between the colon and the argument.

OraProvCfg /action:config /force /product:odp /component:dbproviderfactory /frameworkversion:v4.0.30319 /providerpath:Oracle.DataAccess.dll)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Temoryian
Frequent Visitor

See resolution above.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
equerystrian
Advocate I
Advocate I

Bless you for posting this, hopeful that this will resolve the issues I'm seeing configuring a gateway connection as well. 

Temoryian
Frequent Visitor

See resolution above.  

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors