Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

sintezators

Oracle Cloud to Power BI service using Azure VPN connection

Hello,

I am looking for a way to use Oracle Cloud (cloud, not on-prem) as Power BI dataset (web version, not desktop).

It is able to use Oracle Cloud database from Power BI Desktop but this is not what I'm looking for as it takes time and this connector takes a lot of time to refresh, so it would be great if PowerBI could do this all process `in cloud`.

Is there any way to connect Oracle Cloud to Power BI service?

My idea of all this was to create Azure Local Network Gateway and S2S VPN connection to my Oracle Cloud (what I already did) so Azure would act like "on-prem Oracle Cloud gateway". But now I can't figure out how to properly use this when setting up dataset in PowerBI service.

I searched anywhere for a solution for this and this took too many days for me trying to achieve this so maybe someone of you have experience or any ideas about my way to get this done. 

Thank you in advance,

Edmunds.

2 REPLIES 2
alexkeh

Here is a tutorial for connecting Oracle Autonomous Database on the Oracle Cloud with Power BI cloud.... You will need to use Power BI Pro, Premium, or Trial. I've tried these instructions and they work, though I didn't try it with Azure VPN.

GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi @sintezators 

Unfortunately this is not possible. Currently the only cloud supported data sources are from Azure and Snowflake. 

You will have to use Power BI Desktop to connect to your data and then also use the Gateway to refresh your dataset. You could look at using Incremental refresh so it does not take so long to refresh the entire dataset?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors