Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

JasonStinnett
Regular Visitor

Option to Take Over Dataset is Missing

A colleague recently moved on, so I'm taking over all the dataset refresh schedules that were previous linked to their credentials.

I was successful with all but one dataset. I see this particular dataset has a different icon, and is missing several of the options in the Actions menu. 

power-bi-pro-dataset-missing-actions.jpg

Can you help me understand what is different about this dataset, and what I need to do to take ownership?

Additional context: we are using Power BI Pro, powered by BigQuery, and I confirmed I am an Admin on the workspace.

Regards,
Jason

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi Jason,

That dataset with the different Icon is a "Linked Dataset". Someone in this Workspace(A) has created a Report using a Dataset from another Workspace(B). So this is like a symbolic link to the Dataset over in  Workspace(B) for that Report in Workspace(A).

The easiest way of finding out the name of the Workspace the Dataset is in is to click on the "View Related" link which will show the Report using this Linked Dataset, in that view you can click on "show lineage view" at the bottom of the Related view, which will show the report and it's related Dataset and also show the name of the Workspace that Dataset is in.

Incidentally this only shows in the "old" view of Workspaces. If you toggle "New Look On" it no longer shows "Linked Datasets" which is curious. 

Hope this Helps

Stuart 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Burningsuit
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi Jason,

That dataset with the different Icon is a "Linked Dataset". Someone in this Workspace(A) has created a Report using a Dataset from another Workspace(B). So this is like a symbolic link to the Dataset over in  Workspace(B) for that Report in Workspace(A).

The easiest way of finding out the name of the Workspace the Dataset is in is to click on the "View Related" link which will show the Report using this Linked Dataset, in that view you can click on "show lineage view" at the bottom of the Related view, which will show the report and it's related Dataset and also show the name of the Workspace that Dataset is in.

Incidentally this only shows in the "old" view of Workspaces. If you toggle "New Look On" it no longer shows "Linked Datasets" which is curious. 

Hope this Helps

Stuart 

Thanks Stuart, that was very helpful.

Looks like part of the issue is that I don't have access to the workspace the Dataset originally resides in. There aren't any roles in Power BI Pro that automatically have access to all workspaces, are there?

No, access to Workspaces is Workspace specific. Only the Power BI Administrator, through the Power BI Admin Portal can access and manage all Workspaces.

Stuart

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors