Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Open Attachment Power BI

Hi Everyone 

I'm trying to implement a tool for my team, through Power BI.

The idea is to have a simple table where they can so some search and link this table to a folder with several PDF.

The user will simply have to click on the PDF name and it will open directly 

Will it be possible, i didn't find any solution on Internet so far 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I understand that you need massive links. You can do this with Sharepoint.Contents function in power query like this post:

https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/627427136962281472/powerbi-obtener-datos-de-una-carpeta-de

That post shows you how to navigate in sharepoint. When you get in the folder with the files check the last column. It is "folder path", it looks like:

https://[company].sharepoint.com/sites/[SiteName]/[FolderName]

You can concatenate that string with the column "Name" containing the file name to create a download link for that file. That way you have create all link with power query conditions that can be used in the table as download. Like

https://[company].sharepoint.com/sites/[SiteName]/[FolderName]/file_name_from_column_name.pdf

Hope that helps 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. Yes you can build something like that. You have to be sure that the pdf link is accesible by the user. Maybe a sharepoint would do the job. The data should be something like PdfName | LinkToPdf . They are different columns and will be different in table too. If you add a link to a table you can categorize it as "URL" in format options for the column. That way you will be able to click on it as a link. You can also change format options in the table to use a little icon instead of the big link to the pdf.

You can see an example of a table with links here: https://www.ladataweb.com/informes.html?id=movie

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok i Finally managed to do it throug a sharepoint

However as we have more than 10k invoices to link to this it will be complicated to do everything with this solution

Do you think we can do it through a local server ? We allready have all the invoices sitting somewehre on our Servers.

Thanks

Romain

Mmm... I'm not sure. Assuming the user already have a conection established to the shared local server. I'm thinking out loud now, if you use the file protocol to build the URL and that might work but it will open a browser and ask to download the file instead of open it. The feature will open things in browser. It might depend on how the user browser is configured because sometimes they open and read the pdf and sometimes they download it.

Hope this thought helps.

Regards,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Now with the file protocol i got a small windows, with a finger pointing on it when i click on it

However nothing opened when clicking. I think the issue is stemming from the file protocol.

i currently using 

file:///10.64.17 etc

I think we are getting closed 🙂

Romain1768_2-1603725263647.png

Hi, @Anonymous 

According to your requirement, you can place your pdf files to onedrive for business and create links to access the pdf files, and insert these hyperlinks into your table, you can follow my steps:

1. Place your pdf files to onedrive for business and create links to access the pdf files, like this:

v-robertq-msft_0-1603872003029.png

v-robertq-msft_1-1603872003034.png

1. Create a table, contains pdf file name and links, like this:

屏幕截图 2020-10-28 160123.png

1. Change the [pdf] column category, like this:

屏幕截图 2020-10-28 160135.png

1. Show this table in a table chart and change the link visual, like this:

屏幕截图 2020-10-28 160149.png

You can download my test pbix file here

And you can get what you want.

Learn more about adding hyperlinks (URLs) to a table or matrix

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi 

Many thanks for your input and help.

However, i'm not sure that working with a sharepoint will be the best solution

On the table i will have more than 10K lines and for each line it will be a different PDF, and on top that there will be new PDF every morning that the guy have to check.

So i will have to copy the 10k link from sharepoint and the table will not be updated every morning, 

So that is why i'm more looking at a local server with name that i can combine with the pdf.

for instance the path is \\10.64.189.54\C\Invoices\10203040.pdf

In the file i will put a column with invcoie number

and another column with the path combine with PDF in order to make it dynamic

Thanks

I understand that you need massive links. You can do this with Sharepoint.Contents function in power query like this post:

https://blog.ladataweb.com.ar/post/627427136962281472/powerbi-obtener-datos-de-una-carpeta-de

That post shows you how to navigate in sharepoint. When you get in the folder with the files check the last column. It is "folder path", it looks like:

https://[company].sharepoint.com/sites/[SiteName]/[FolderName]

You can concatenate that string with the column "Name" containing the file name to create a download link for that file. That way you have create all link with power query conditions that can be used in the table as download. Like

https://[company].sharepoint.com/sites/[SiteName]/[FolderName]/file_name_from_column_name.pdf

Hope that helps 

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

That is working you Rock !!! Thanks 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

Thanks for your reply, maybe i missed somthing but it doesn't seems to work on my side

On first column i have invoice number

On second column i have the path of where the pdf is + name of the pdf but i can't openned it  

Romain1768_1-1603717800256.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors