Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Norm
Advocate I
Advocate I

Only allow DirectQuery datasets

Hi,

Do any of you know if there's a way to prevent uploading a PBIX file that contains data in "import" mode and only allow Datasets that are using DirectQuery sources?

My problem is that I work in the healthcare sector and because of regulations we don't want patient data to be physically stored in the cloud. That's why we are only using SQL connections in DirectQuery mode. But if fear that sooner or later some BI analyst will add a data source to a PBIX file and select Import instead of DirectQuery and publish that PBIX to the cloud. We are uploading the PBIX with the Rest API and I haven't seen an option that would do what I would like to do.

Thanks!

Norm

4 REPLIES 4
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You can't prevent it but you can audit it. Dataset uploads are in the audit logs. If you had a rule that you have to be admin of any workspace then you could then disable the dataset as needed.

You need a non-technical process where your developers have to sign an agreement not to create import datasets.

Remember that you can connect to the dataset via XMLA .  So another option would be to load the .PBIX into a holding workspace, then connect to it from an XMLA client and then run the scripts against the partitions.

Here's a crazy idea.  You know the .pbix files are actually ZIP archives, right? Somewhere in there is probably a flag that has the storage mode. My money is on DataMashup...

ok I missed slightly - it is actually in DataModelSchema

"partitions": [
          {
            "name": "Dates-3beb2295-2712-48ff-bf4b-e7d596a9517d",
            "mode": "import",
            "state": "ready",
            "modifiedTime": "2020-07-24T02:15:37.063333",
            "refreshedTime": "2020-07-24T02:15:37.063333",
            "source": {
              "type": "m",
              "expression": "let\n    Source = Sql.Database(\"xxx\", \"yyy\"),\n    dbo_Dates = Source{[Schema=\"dbo\",Item=\"Dates\"]}[Data],\n    #\"Kept First Rows\" = Table.FirstN(dbo_Dates,1)\nin\n    #\"Kept First Rows\""
            }
          }
        ],

Thanks for your reply.

We though of checking the content of the PBIX file for the DataMashup file. Unfortunately that file does not exists when the PBIX file is saved using the new "Enhanced metadata format" (I guess that information is in the DataModel file but it seems to be a binary file in a proprietary format). As for the DataModelSchema I think it's only in PBIT files (and I don't think the Rest API allows to upload a PBIT). 

Yes, that XPress9  compression thing is a pain. Haven't found a way around that yet.  XMLA is probably your best bet.

select [Name], [Mode] from $SYSTEM.TMSCHEMA_PARTITIONS

Mode 0 is import, mode 1 is Direct Query

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors