Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Darren_Linc
Helper I
Helper I

Online service giving errors and not refreshing but desktop version fine

Hello,

I've been using Power BI Pro since October in our organisation and it's a great BI tool. However we've had a dashboard running for a few months (the datasource is a sharepoint list) and I've recently updated the dashboard to include the new preview table as we have long text to display so the word wrapping feature is a fantastic addition.

I've published a new version with a different name and all of a sudden the new datasets are not refreshing in the online service, on the desktop version it refreshes fine with no erros but once in the online service the on demand and scheduled refreshes fail.

The error messages is the following:

"An error occurred while processing the data in the dataset.
The column 'HasUniqueRoleAssignments' of the table wasn't found.
Next refresh for Accidents Incidents v1.5a is scheduled for 05/11/2017 07:00:00.
Learn more
Technical Information:
Activity Id: ed5dba45-e117-415b-acff-8eed771b4c69
Request Id: 260b4c12-4c36-4ed8-b5d0-f4e6749cbfa8
Cluster Name: WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Refresh Start Time: 05/10/2017 08:02:06Z
Refresh End Time: 05/10/2017 08:15:46Z"

I've checked the queries and the column is displaying fine and I don't use the column in any parts of the query so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why on the desktop version I can refresh the data with no errors but once published then there's errors.

I've tried re-publishing in the workspace and in a different workspace. I've even gone back to the previous version and published that and the same error occurs.

Help needed please!

15 REPLIES 15
DolEgon22
Advocate II
Advocate II

I have this exact same problem. 

I did think it might be the new preview table causing the error but have test versions with and without and still failing, it seems to be a Saherpoint issue? It started same time as the BI service yesterday so I think it might be related to that.

Is your datasource also SharePoint Online?

Yep, I think something has gone a bit wrong within the PBI service and O365

I just got off the phone with Msft.  

This issue seems to be isolated to the May release of PowerBI desktop.  I have confirmed that by uploading a report directly into the web service via the "Get Data" button on the web service prevents this issue from happening.  

Unfortunately, if you have already downloaded and saved the .pbix file in the May release... the default authenticatoin columns have been added.  I am working on getting a previous release version from archive and testing if it's possible to roll back a version of a saved .pbix file and re-publish with March release version.  

Stay tuned.. 

I've raised a tech support ticket and was given a work-around of to use "remove other columns" as a workround. I've re-built the affected report both from an open query approach and then the removing other columns approach. Neither have worked, if the problematic columns are removed it just flags other related columns as not found. I've got it to the point where client_title column is causing issues if I remove it or not remove it. Without major assistance from MS techies, I can't see a viabe solution at the moment. Sad times!

It seems that the problem is, the columns that are being entered, specifically "hasuniqueroleassignment" "DisplayName" "Complianceinfo" etc etc, are added in to the data table by PowerBI desktop application.  They do this for authenitication of some sort.  

The web service does not seem to be updated along with the desktop version and since the columns do not exsist in SP Online, but instead are added into the file at the desktop application stage, the web version cannot find them online and throws the error.  

Even if you remove the columns the service will still throw an error becuase it has to run the script to find those columns and remove them.  I've tested just about every workaround with the May release and there is nothing I can come up with.  My goal for today is to at least get this recognized as a full scale work stopping bug and top priority on MSFT end.

^^^ This. In a nutshell is the problem explained superbly!

Nothing back from microsoft, but... i a pretty crappy solution, but i was able to make it work. 

In order to avoid referencing the columns that are magically put into the report, use the "Remove Other Columns" feature in the Query Editor.  If you select the ABSOLUTE minimum number of columns you are using for your report across ALL data sets synced, (ctrl + shift + click) to select only the columns you are using... and then right click and select remove other columns the steps reference only the used columns.  

Thus you get something like this: 

#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Renamed Columns1",{"Column 1", "Column 2", "Column 3", "Column 3")

instead of:

#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Removed Other Columns",{"ERROR CAUSING COLUMN 1". "ERROR CAUSING COLUMN 2". "ERROR CAUSING COLUMN 3". "ERROR CAUSING COLUMN 4". })

Once you remove them with this method, the Web application does not know that the bad columns exsist and completes a full refresh.  

It's complete bull**bleep** and i have multiple reports with 5-10 data sources with 30+ columns each.... but it works.  And this is a total work stopper for my org. 

Let me know if this works for you or not

Hi, I have downloaded the newest release but am still having the exact same problem. I have tried your suggested workaround of using the 'remove other columns' function, but still getting the same issue. I'd be extremely grateful for any other suggestions. 

Thanks in advance

I attempted this workaround (even removed the dataset from PBI.com) and still have run into the exact same issue.

Release of version 2.46.4732.721 on May 15 seems to solve the problem.  

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45331

Worked great!  Thanks.

The May 15 update appears to have corrected the problem.

I have updated PowerBI desktop to the latest version. At first the problem seemed to be solved but after a couple of refreshes the problem began again.

It still complains about none existing columns but this time the columns it mentions do exist and are not created but another process.

I asume the PowerBI team is still working on this problem.

Edit: Now I have removed all the columns that I don't use in the reports/dataset. But now it is complaining about a column not being found in a table, but this column is used in a relationship so this cannot be removed from the dataset. So this problem still is a problem, no workaround unfortunately.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors