Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Online Dataset Time Problem

Hello everyone,

For most of my reports I import dates using Google Analytics, which works flawlessly. Most commonly, I connect from Power BI desktop to GA, using the built-in connector, and retrieve the date table.

Recently I started to play around with the datasets and the dataflows from the online side of PBI. 

Dataflows allows me to automatically retrieve all the dates since 2015 (start of our GA account) up until today. Once I import a the date dataflow into Power BI Desktop, the date feature works flawless as expected.

My problem starts when I connect a new dashboard in Power BI Desktop to a live dataset using the built-in connector. Aan example: I have an existing dashboard with data from last september until today (date data is being pulled using normal GA connector). When I create a line chart, the chart starts at the first date where data is available and stops on the date when the data ends. When I upload this dashboard to the online environment of PBI everything works as expected.

However, when I connect to this data flow and try to plot the same graph, I see way more date data that should not be present.

Normal situation with the dashboard with 'offline' information. Data starts in Jan 2018, as defined and runs through today.

Capture.PNGCapture2.PNG

Problem situation when connecting to the same dataset, but this time it has been uploaded to PBI service. The data runs until the end of 2019 (impossible since GA doesn't allow future dates). These additional dates must have been generated by Power BI itself somewhere.

Annotation 2019-01-10 143442.jpg

Does anyone know why these future dates are generated and how I can make my online dataset work similarly to a normal one?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, I could not reproduce your problem, could you please share your sample data to have a test if possible?

Regards,

Daniel He

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Daniel, Thanks for helping out. I am not sure how I can provide you with a dataset, as the data is coming from the online dataset. As said in my first post. The problem only occurs when I use a live connection to the dataset. Using the dataset on the original PBIX file it was created doesn't create for this error. Interestingly, when I create a graph based on some data and add a report level filter saying that it should only include data up until today, the graph still continues running to the end of 2019. Hopefully this may help establishing the problem. Thanks again!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors