Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

trentchecketts1
Frequent Visitor

Online Connection String Changes

I am having issues where i publish a report that works just fine in desktop and made sure the connection string is correct for mapping to a network driver.  

Desktop Connection String:

\\"network fully qualified"\dept02\powerbi\file.xlsx

but the online string is showing duplicate "\"

Online Connection String:

\\\\"network fully qualified"\\dept02\\powerbi\\file.xlsx

What would cause this string when publishing online to do the duplicate which then doesnt allow me to schedule the report because of an unknown string?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @trentchecketts1 ,

The product team are working on fixing this issue now. (ICM#: 256366460)

Please be patient and I'll post here if there is any update.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @trentchecketts1 ,

The product team are working on fixing this issue now. (ICM#: 256366460)

Please be patient and I'll post here if there is any update.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @trentchecketts1 ,

I think you are using Power BI Service, not Power BI Report Server. Right?

For Power BI Service, it is needed to use a gateway to refresh on-premises data sources.

Here is an example. This is the same issue you meet, right?

gateway.PNG

If so, it is needed to click "Add to gateway" to add the data source into your on-premise gateway like so:

gateway2.PNG

After the data source is connecting successfully, it will automatically return to the previous page. Then, map to the data source you configured and apply. And you can set scheduled refresh now.

gateway3.PNG

Here are some documents for reference:

What is an on-premises data gateway? | Microsoft Docs;

Install an on-premises data gateway | Microsoft Docs;

Use the on-premises data gateway app | Microsoft Docs;

Configure scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Docs;

Manage your data source - Import/scheduled refresh - Power BI | Microsoft Docs.

Best Regards,

Icey

We already have gateways setup which is what the desktop connection string should be matching when published.

IF im using a sql server connection example SQL-test123-ao.ad.company.com then the connection string in desktop stays the same.

But when i publish (ONLY WHEN NETWORK) does it change the string.  

\\Network drive\powerbi\file

changes to

\\\\network drive\\powerbi\\file

which duplicates all the "\"

I see in yours that it has 4 2 2 as well.  is that just going to be the result when using a network is additional "\" ? 

Hi @trentchecketts1,

I can reproduce the issue and have reported it internally. Let's be patient.

And in addition, does this affect your normal use? Any screenshots without sensitive information?

Best Regards,

Icey

this affects our users, managing everyone that publishes reports and explaining to them that the gateway being setup with "\\\\"network"\\location\\file\\file"  is not how they need to put the connection string.  currently if a new gateway is added they go an copy paste the string so that it connects right but is not the case for this.  

In the interim we have sent our the correct string with less "\" but its counter to all other uses when we tell them to use the exact connection string that the gateway is setup for.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors