Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Onedrive synced file not refreshing powerBI Service

Hi Community,

I have an excel file in onedrive and I have import the data into powerBI Service and created sample report.

Now i have added some data into my excel file which is in onedrive and the data also synced into onedrive. But if i am trying to refresh dataset in powerBI Service the new data is not coming and also it's not refreshing hourly also.

Can please help me out from this. I am not understanding what i missed

Note: I haven't used powerBI desktop and i don't have any gateway (anyway for onedrive business gateway is not required na)

Thanks & Regards

B V S S

1 REPLY 1
v-alq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @Anonymous 

Based on your description, please pay attention to how you handle file management on OneDrive. When you set a file on OneDrive as the data source. Power BI references the item ID of the file when it performs the refresh, which can cause issues in some scenarios. For example, Consider the scenario where you have a master file A and a production copy of that file B, and you configure OneDrive refresh for file B. If you then copy file A over file B, the copy operation deletes the old file B and creates a new file B with a different item ID, which breaks OneDrive refresh. You should instead upload and replace file B, which keeps the same item ID.

You may modify the file location by using drag or drop, and refresh will continue to work because PBI still knows the fileID. However, if you copy that file to another location, a new instance of the file and a new fileID is created. Therefore, your Power BI file reference is no longer valid and refresh will fail. Please check whether there was something wrong when you handled file management on OneDrive.

For further information, you may refer to the following link.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data

Best Regards

Allan

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors