Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

paulwozniak
Helper I
Helper I

OneDrive refresh via Data Gateway

I have a Power BI desktop report that I've published to the Power BI service. It uses a few data sources including:

* Microsoft SQL Server

* Google Analytics

* Web -> A link to a CSV file in OneDrive for Business

I would like to have this report on a refresh schedule. However I am unable to do this because I am told that not all sources are configured on the data gateway. This is ture, I've only got the SQL Server source configured. 

However, when I try to configure another source on the data gateway, specifically a Web source, I only see the following authentication options:

* Anonymous

* Web 

* Windows

None of these work for a link to a file in OneDrive. However in Desktop I can choose 'Organizational account' as an authenticaion option and that works for me there.

TL;DR

How do I setup a data source in my data gateway that points to a file in One Drive? I need this configured on the data gateway, I think, because I'm using SQL Server as another source in my report.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @paulwozniak

Using On-premises gateway, it is not possible to schedule refresh for your dataset when you mix on-premises SQL data source and CSV on Onedrive. This is a known issue that has been submitted in the following link and the feature that using on-premises gateway to work with online data sources is under review, please vote it.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/13405644-combine-enterprise-gatew....

However, using personal gateway, you are able to schedule refresh for the dataset when you mix data sources(on-premises SQL and CSV on Onedrive).

In addition, you can install the personal and On-premises gateway gateway on the same computer.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @paulwozniak,

Do you use on-premises gateway or personal gateway to refresh your dataset?  On-premises gateway doesn't allow you to combine online data sources and on-premises data sources.

When you combine the following three data sources in a dataset, you can use personal gateway instead. 

* Microsoft SQL Server

* Google Analytics

* Web -> A link to a CSV file in OneDrive for Business

And for the web source, you should be able to use aAuth2 as shown in the following screenshot.

1.PNG

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That's a great insight! Do you know if I can have both the personal and on-premise data gateways installed on one machine and profile?

ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@paulwozniak As per my understanding you wont have much luck there. I would suggest you remove OneDrive from your pbix file and only have SQL source in your pbix file. That way configure gateway for refresh of SQL data source and connect to OneDrive for Business straight from power bi service which will then refresh itself without needing of gateway. Only catch is your OneDrive source will be seperate from your SQL data source but you can still show data from them together in dashboard.

That's interesting! But I need to mix the data from my SQL data source with the data from the CSV in OneDrive. I think that's not possible with what you're suggesting right?

Hi @paulwozniak

Using On-premises gateway, it is not possible to schedule refresh for your dataset when you mix on-premises SQL data source and CSV on Onedrive. This is a known issue that has been submitted in the following link and the feature that using on-premises gateway to work with online data sources is under review, please vote it.

https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas/suggestions/13405644-combine-enterprise-gatew....

However, using personal gateway, you are able to schedule refresh for the dataset when you mix data sources(on-premises SQL and CSV on Onedrive).

In addition, you can install the personal and On-premises gateway gateway on the same computer.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Voted! Thank you.

Can I use both on-premises gateway and personal gateway at the same time on one machine and profile?

Hi @paulwozniak,

You can use them for different datasets. For one dataset which contains only on-premises data source, you are able to choose personal gateway or on-premises gateway when setting schedule refresh.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors