Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

calsavara
Frequent Visitor

OneDrive file updated, but not doing the same to Power BI dataset

Hello,

The file is updated on OneDrive, as I can see when the last update happened. However, Power BI is not reflecting the same. I need to go to OneDrive and update the file on the web environment so Power BI can recognize the latest update. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks.

Rafael

5 REPLIES 5
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

What type of file? Did you import it or live connection?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

It is an Excel file that I usually update from my local drive and gets synced to OneDrive (using OneDrive for desktop). It worked fine until last week, when I noticed that although the file is still getting synced with new information to OneDrive, from there it does not update Power BI. I have to edit from OneDrive online and then BI recognizes it. Workbooks are updating just fine the reagular way (from my local drive).

Hi @calsavara,

In my test, I was unable to reproduce this problem. In your scenario, please check whether the "OneDrive refresh" is trun on. Besides, there will existing some delay to update the PowerBI dataset after updating the data stored in OneDrive.

1.PNG

Besides, please test whether the dataset in Power BI service will automatically refresh if you manually update the excel file in OneDrive.

Here is a similar thread for your reference: Auto refresh with Excel workbook on OneDrive

Best regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hello Yuliana,

Yes, both files are set to Auto Refresh. Strangely, I have one more dataset that is an Excel file with tables just like these others I had mentioned, and this one is refreshing the reports in Power BI just fine. I don't need to go to OneDrive online to refresh it like I have to do to others.

Rafael

Hi @calsavara,

Does this excel file contains any external data source? If the Excel contains data which are retrieved from other on-promise database like SQL Server, to enable schedule refresh, we need to configure personal gateway for this dataset. Please refer to: Auto refresh from excel file on Onedrive

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors