cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

OneDrive Refresh (link to .pbix saved in OneDrive/Teams/SharePoint)

I have a .pbix file saved in Teams, so I'm using OneDrive refresh to update the report in the Service when changes are made to the Power BI Desktop file.

For an unknown reason, the link has been lost between the dataset saved in my workspace in the Service and the OneDrive location. So any changes made to the .pbix are no longer being reflected in the Service. The OneDrive refresh is failing with a message of "We are unable to locate the file on OneDrive for Business. Please check that the file exists in this location." and the OneDrive refresh toggle is off and can't be turned back on.

Is there anyway of re-establishing this connection?

The only way I can see to fix the issue is to delete the reprot/dataset from the workspace and republish. But this would mean recreating my Dashboard. I also use Power BI live connection from this data model, so have 30+ other .pbix files reliant on this as a datasource, so I would have to reconfigure all of these too.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

Re: OneDrive Refresh (link to .pbix saved in OneDrive/Teams/SharePoint)

Hi there

I think once it is lost you have to re-create it all again.

What I would suggest is to use the Shared Datasets functionality in order to make sure other datasets rely on the shared dataset.

I personally have stayed away from the OneDrive method for this reason if something gets lots it has to be re-created.

Here is a blog post by my friend Seth explaining all the details: https://powerbi.tips/2019/09/updating-pbix-files-in-sharepoint-dos-donts/

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

Hi there

I think once it is lost you have to re-create it all again.

What I would suggest is to use the Shared Datasets functionality in order to make sure other datasets rely on the shared dataset.

I personally have stayed away from the OneDrive method for this reason if something gets lots it has to be re-created.

Here is a blog post by my friend Seth explaining all the details: https://powerbi.tips/2019/09/updating-pbix-files-in-sharepoint-dos-donts/

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Advocate I
Advocate I

Thanks for your reply, and confirming my fear that there was no alternative but to republish!

It's a shame that there isn't a way to re-establish the connection, as it's a great feature when a .pbix file is being used in multiple workspaces (i.e. update the file once rather than republishing several times).

thanks again...

Highlighted
Super User IV
Super User IV

Hi there

Yeah that was good before Shared datasets, but I would recommend the Shared datasets route going forward.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Meet the 2020 Season 2 Power BI Super Users!

Meet the 2020 Season 2 Power BI Super Users!

Find out who's part of the program this season, and welcome the new Super Users.

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

August 2020 Community Challenge: Can You Solve These?

We're excited to announce our first cross-community 'Can You Solve These?' challenge!

July 2020 Community Highlights

July 2020 Community Highlights

Learn about the exciting things that happened in July.

Featured Data Story of The Month

Featured Data Story of The Month

All Data Stories Gallery contributions are reviewed for each month. We select a contribution and feature the community member the following month.

Power BI Dev Camp - Developing with .NET Core

Power BI Dev Camp - Developing with .NET Core

Learn how to develop custom web applications for Power BI using .NET Core 3.1 and .NET 5.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors