Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

giuliapiazza94
Helper IV
Helper IV

One report from many reports

Hi guys,

I need an advice. I've 3 reports:

1 about sales

1 about commissions

1 about margin

I need a create one report that shows a measure that is the sum of one measure from each reports. For example:

measure (new report) = sales + commission + margin

How should I proceed?

The three reports are published with power bi PRO.

I thougth about mergin the reports using datasources dataset power bi.

giuliapiazza94_0-1669387720563.png

in your opinion is it correct?

thank you all 😁

3 REPLIES 3
Shahfaisal
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

From your post, it appears that each of the 3 reports are built without an underlying data model (semantic layer). The power of Power BI is "to develop once and use numerous times". If you find yourself creating reports that require merging logic (tables, calculations, joins, etc.) from multiple reports, then it is time to think about developing a semantic layer to feed your reports. See https://www.sqlbi.com/articles/power-bi-is-a-model-based-tool/ more details.

A semantic layer also helps you empower your business users using a governed self-service data architecture.

no, i've 3 reports and each report depends from a data set, so they are indipendent reports from each other

My response is still the same. 

- If this report that you need to develop is just a one-off request, meaning you don't anticipate more reports in the future that require merging the datasets into a single model, then you can proceed with creating the report focusing just on the report and not too much on the extensibility of the underlying model .

- On the other hand, if you anticipate that users are going to ask for more such reports in the future where you will need to merge the 3 datasets, then I suggest that you take time to develop the data model first and make sure it is scalable and extensible, and then develop the report on top of the data model.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors