Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

One report for multiple users simultaneously

Hi Community,

I have 2 questions regarding performance of a report in the service that is being used simultaneously from up to 20 users at the same time. The connection mode of this report is a Direct Query mode to 4 tables (from avarage to big).

Questions:

1. How is the performance of the report especially when there is a change in the Tables at the time of manipulating it?
  2. If there is a performance issue would it be better to create a View out of the 4 Tables in the Database and then use Direct Query mode to connect to that View?

I know that this is something that needs to be tested that's why I am wondering if someone has done it already.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

If you use Direct query then all optimizations need to be done at the data source.  Index maintenance, statistics up to date etc.  You will also want to tell the db owners to expect many concurrent connections.

Using Views will not improve things, it will likely make it worse.

If, however, you switch to Import Mode then all these problems go away magically as the data is cached in the Power BI service and it doesn't really matter any more how many users are looking at it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

The usual database locking rules apply. Table locks, row locks, optimistic vs pessimistic locking etc.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

All you do is add another layer between the user and the data source.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

It sounds like you took me to another level of discussion.

All I care about is how the report would act when 20 users are visualizing it at the same time. I know for Import mode wouldn't be a problem but I wonder for DQ when the data source is updating at the same time 

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

If you use Direct query then all optimizations need to be done at the data source.  Index maintenance, statistics up to date etc.  You will also want to tell the db owners to expect many concurrent connections.

Using Views will not improve things, it will likely make it worse.

If, however, you switch to Import Mode then all these problems go away magically as the data is cached in the Power BI service and it doesn't really matter any more how many users are looking at it.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

@lbendlin 

Using views will likely make it worse! What do you mean? Like how worse if I still use DQ to connect to that view?

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors