Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Angel
Resolver III
Resolver III

One refresh per day need pro license?

Hi, everybody

As i have read, it's supposed Power BI Free allows schedule data refresh one per day.

However, If I configure dataset to refresh only one per day it seems I can only share dashboard with users who have Power BI license Pro.

Data source is odata Feed and I have installed on-premises gateaway

Thanks,

Schedule Refresh in datasetSchedule Refresh in datasetMessage when I share dashboardMessage when I share dashboard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

@AngelNo, I don't think that would work, not if I understand you correctly. Are you suggesting that one Pro user publishes and refreshes the data once per day, and other free users would then view that Pro user's report? If so, that would not work.

Free/Pro content is essentially defined by where it's coming from. It doesn't matter which user refreshes the dataset because the refresh isn't what makes it a Pro dataset. The Pro user may publish and refresh the dataset, but the dataset is Pro content merely by virtue of the fact that it's coming from an on-premise database with a gateway. Because of that you must be a Pro user to view it. If you must use an on-premise source with a data gateway, your data is Pro content from the start no matter how many times you refresh it.

I know buying a bunch of Pro licenses seems like a big investment but there are ways to deal with that. In my organization I rolled out Pro content reports to the executive and management level first in order to limit the number of licenses we had to buy. After a few months, they started to request licenses for mid-level managers and then lower supervisor roles. Now we're pretty much giving licenses to anyone who needs a report, at any level. After the higher-ups have used it for a while and seen the value of it, they tend to agree that the license cost is pretty reasonable. I mean, think of it this way: if a user will be $10 more productive or efficient per month because of their access to reports, the license has paid for itself.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

An on-premise data gateway is itself a pro feature, regardless of the number of refreshes or the source at the other end. See the third bullet point here: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-power-bi-pro-content-what-is-it/

The once daily free thing is for things like web sources that require a refresh.

Hi, @KHorseman

Thanks for your quick response.

I would like to know if this scenario could be possible in the same organization.

- One user with pro license where data are refreshed once a day.

- The others users with free license 

¿Is it possible?.

Thanks.

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

@AngelNo, I don't think that would work, not if I understand you correctly. Are you suggesting that one Pro user publishes and refreshes the data once per day, and other free users would then view that Pro user's report? If so, that would not work.

Free/Pro content is essentially defined by where it's coming from. It doesn't matter which user refreshes the dataset because the refresh isn't what makes it a Pro dataset. The Pro user may publish and refresh the dataset, but the dataset is Pro content merely by virtue of the fact that it's coming from an on-premise database with a gateway. Because of that you must be a Pro user to view it. If you must use an on-premise source with a data gateway, your data is Pro content from the start no matter how many times you refresh it.

I know buying a bunch of Pro licenses seems like a big investment but there are ways to deal with that. In my organization I rolled out Pro content reports to the executive and management level first in order to limit the number of licenses we had to buy. After a few months, they started to request licenses for mid-level managers and then lower supervisor roles. Now we're pretty much giving licenses to anyone who needs a report, at any level. After the higher-ups have used it for a while and seen the value of it, they tend to agree that the license cost is pretty reasonable. I mean, think of it this way: if a user will be $10 more productive or efficient per month because of their access to reports, the license has paid for itself.

@KHorseman

Thanks,

Clear as water.... 😉

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors