Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

One dataset, multiple workspaces

Hi!

History: I have 3 workspaces, each of them has own dataset. Problem is that all these datasets are very big, and the difference between them is just second also has sales data, third one also has budgeting numbers (it was made for managing access rights long time ago).

As datasets are growing, it was decided to merge all of them and have one shared dataset and multiple workspaces for managing access right (don't ask why we can't use RLS, it is just not possible now).

I have found a solution that you can have so-called Master Workspace, where we have shared dataset and report is published to this workspace. Then I created a copy of this report in Child Workspace, which has app. But when I publish this copy into the app, end users receive an error that they have no access to the underlying dataset.

Question: Am I doing something wrong? Or to let users use this report from the app in Child Workspace, the only way is to manually give access to shared dataset in Master Workspace?

Many thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"Master Workspace, where we have shared dataset and report is published to this workspace"

That's not what you should do.  Master workspace and dataset are the correct approach, but you should not have any reports in that workspace. Reports should only exist in the other workspaces. These reports connect to your master/golden dataset.

As a consequence of this setup your users need to have access to the workspace/app where your reports are located AND to the workspace/app (*) where the master/golden dataset is located.

*) Fun fact - you cannot publish an app where the workspace only contains the (golden) dataset.  The app needs a consumable like a report or dashboard. Sigh.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for your replies!

However, both of them don't give me the result I was looking for, thus I suggest that it is just not possible. 

To access reports build on dataset from other workspaces' apps, you need to give at least read permission to the dataset, and I don't see a difference between giving to dataset or master workspace (if I'm wrong, let me know).

There is a fundamental difference between giving access to a workspace and giving access to a dataset. This becomes even more different in a Premium environment where you give access to apps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, wasn't clear. I meant regarding my question, there still will be two steps - give access to app in other workspace, give access to master workspace. Moreover, my end users are not pro, they are not using shared dataset for report development, I need them just to be able to access reports published in app properly, so they need to have read access to dataset, and that is all, nothing more.

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @Anonymous,

I'd like to suggest you take a look at the following document about using dataset across workspace and limitations if help:

Intro to datasets across workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

"Master Workspace, where we have shared dataset and report is published to this workspace"

That's not what you should do.  Master workspace and dataset are the correct approach, but you should not have any reports in that workspace. Reports should only exist in the other workspaces. These reports connect to your master/golden dataset.

As a consequence of this setup your users need to have access to the workspace/app where your reports are located AND to the workspace/app (*) where the master/golden dataset is located.

*) Fun fact - you cannot publish an app where the workspace only contains the (golden) dataset.  The app needs a consumable like a report or dashboard. Sigh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors