Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

smithnb
Advocate I
Advocate I

One Report in Multiple App Workspaces

I need to know the best solution for the following scenario: 

Say I have two "apps" - one for Sales, one for HR. 

Sales gets two reports - A and B

HR gets one report - A

To use report A in an App for both Sales and HR, do I have to publish the same report to each workspace, since the apps publish everything within an app workspace? 

This is causing me a lot of difficulty in seeing the usefulness of the apps. 

11 REPLIES 11
jgubler
Advocate III
Advocate III
Bjarne-KA
Frequent Visitor

I have the same problem, has anyone found a solution to this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Without knowing the exact details of your problem, I would still suggest Row Level Security and a single App.

mkuiper87

My solution to this issue isn't a pretty one, but at least it works.

Create RLS security for the different departments, so they can use the same reports, yet see different data

Combine the various reports into different dashboards, one dashboard for each individual configuration (HR / Sales)

Then combine all these dashboards, reports en data in one app.

When HR logs in, it will be able to go to report B, but since RLS is setup, they will only see empty pages

Ideally, you want to be able to restrict the ability to see a dashboard within an app based on someones username/group membership, just as you are able to with RLS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do Sales and HR draw from the same data sources?  Do Sales and HR see the same reports?  How do you give them access? Are they shared dashboards?

One thought i had was either looking into Row Level Security, if they see different data rows.

If they get the same data, just different reports then you could create different dashboards and share dashboards with them.

Thanks for the quick response! Yes, I recognize I could use my existing app workspace which houses all my reports and simply use the "Share Dashboard" functionality, creating a dashboard for Sales, and one for HR.

I was more interested in how I could advance to using the new Apps functionality, but having the ability to use one report for two different Apps (because one app may have additional content that the other is not privy to).

Anonymous
Not applicable

From my playing with the Apps i'd noticed that an App contains the entire app workspace.  That sadly doesn't help for what you want.

If both HR and Sales had the same reports, you could strip lines away but i'm guessing thats not what you want.

Alternatively, you could have separate PBIX files in seperate App Workspaces, but that means twice the refreshes and keeping to different PBIX files with different reports/dashboards.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd be interested in knowing what solution you decide to go with for this. The reason we started using content packs was to allow the updating of a report that exists within multiple dashboards in one go.

Is there a way I can find out when content packs will be phased out and if there are any plans to incorporate this functionality into apps?

All of our reports have evolved to a point where they feature in multiple dashboards for different audiences - having one source file within the web app has reduced the admin required to maintain these.

I'd also be very keen to understand this, as im also facing the same problem

I have a similar situation. I created one big report for the entire division. This is viewed by the Division managment. Each department within the division has two or three tabs in the report. I want to create an App space for each department, and put their sections of the big report in the department's own app space. I would just publish the full report and update data in the Division level.

Just as a follow up, I have not heard anything to be able to answer your questions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors