Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

kclaussen56
Frequent Visitor

One Drive obscuring Query

Hello,

I am new to the forum, and have been using Power BI for 2 months or so. The majority of the reports I've put together feed from Excel files on our company OneDrive.

Today I had an issue with my "columns" not properly populating in a Matrix. I should have had 600+ rows with 8 unique types.

Only 308 rows with 4 unique types. Also, my table name showed as "Table1" instead of my named table. I refreshed, reloaded, requeried, etc... no changes.

I copied the file from OneDrive to my C drive Documents. Same file, different location. It worked perfectly.

I understand that I can aim the query at the new file location, but I would like the autosave and backup of OneDrive. Plus, they are both Microsoft products. I would hope they could play nicely together.

As a side note: when I attended a DIAD class recently, I had a similar issue with their class materials. The instructor told me that you never want to use OneDrive for Power BI queries, and to move it locally.

Has anyone else had these issues? or is anyone aware of what could be causing this issue? Either on my end, or a different workaround?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
venal
Memorable Member
Memorable Member

Hello Kclaussen56,

Today I had an issue with my "columns" not properly populating in a Matrix. I should have had 600+ rows with 8 unique types.

Only 308 rows with 4 unique types. Also, my table name showed as "Table1" instead of my named table. I refreshed, reloaded, requeried, etc... no changes.

Is your data started from A1 or A2. If your data starts with A2 then you need change it in Power BI Desktop >> Home >>Edit Queries >> Edit Queries >> Use First row as headers / Use Headers as first row.

You can change the table name in Power BI in the below path.

Power BI Desktop >> Home >>Edit Queries >> Edit Queries >> (Left Side) >> Query Settings >> Properties >> Name >> (Edit the table name)

If the issue is stil persists, please share us the below details.

1. Data connector

2. Connectivity Mode ( Import / Direct Query )

Suggested Steps to resolve your query:-

========================

1. Power Bi Desktop >> Home >> Get Data >> Web (Connector)

2. Go to Onedrive >> select the file (Excel) >> right click >> Open in app (local excel application)>> Once the excel file opened in local excel >> Info >> you can see the path ) >> right click >> copy to clip board >> paste the link in the note pad

3. Now paste the same link in the Power Bi Desktop >> web connector >> remove "?web=1" and click on load.

hope now you can able to view your data in Data view.

Hope it will resolve your issue.

If it will resolve, please mark this as resolved. 

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @kclaussen56 ,

How did you get data from onedrive file? What connector you used in your report? Can you please share more detail informations to help us clarify your scenario?

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hello,

I selected: Get Data-> Excel-> Selected the Excel file from my OneDrive when PBI prompted me to Open the file.

Is that not the best way to set that up?

Thanks again for the help!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors