Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

One Datasource not refreshing properly in the Service with no Error message

Hello, 

My issue is that only 1 web datasource of my published dataset (with more than 5 other web connections) is not refreshing properly on the Service, while when I refresh it on the desktop it is done correctly. The weird thing is that I have no error messages on the Service (all credentials are validated and even the schedule refresh is configured correctly and working). 

(I mean that it is not refreshing correctly because the latest information is not added). I am not sure what is happening!

Thanks for giving me some light in here, 

Melissa

7 REPLIES 7
v-yingjl
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Based on my test, seems can reproduce it in my environment.

If you edit the .txt file online, power bi service will not automatically recognize table fields but uses all values in the same row as the first column value. See the below example:

txt.pngservice.png

When I add new data online and refresh the dataset, all values will be used as a field in the group column. If I do not add the value column in the table visual, it will look like the dataset 'not refresh' but actually the refresh has completed, just blank value in the value column.

So in this case, you need to update the .txt file on-premiss and re-upload it to Sharepoint, then refresh it and it will work fine.

Best Regards,
Yingjie Li

If this post helps then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yingjl ,

So, I modified something inside the new data to see if it triggered the refresh correctly in the service, but it didn't. 

I had to download the dataset, refresh it on the desktop (inmmediately seing the data) and then publishing again. 

It is very annoying as we need automatic schedule refreshes to take place dialy overnight. 

Let me know if you can think of something else. 

Best, 

Melissa

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Does your network  or the datasource employ any form of query caching?  Oftentimes adding a random parameter to the Web URL will force the re-processing.

https://url?queryparameter=x&r=(random number)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lbendlin , 

Thanks for your answer but I don't fully understand what you mean....

The datasource is a .txt file on a sharepoint shared site, something like: https://xxxxx.sharepoint.com/sites/powerbi/Documents%20partages/xxxx/xxx.txt

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @lbendlin , 

We tried to add ?r=0.012324 at the end of the URL but we got an error in the desktop, see below:

Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 6.09.28 PM.png

That's too bad. I have no other ideas how to prevent caching.

If you have a PRO license you can raise a ticket with Microsoft.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors