Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rylach
Helper II
Helper II

One Dataset multiple reports - again

Hi.

I have one dataset, which should be a source for two kind of reports. The underlaying tables for both reports are partially common. The targe groups (report consumers) are separate. So, it seems that most resonable solution could be two separate reports based on one dataset - this would allow:

1. Maintain only one data model
  2. Have two reports  / group of pages for the groups (possibli stored in one common workspace, but with data hidden for the other group by Row Level Security).

I found the solution saying "click on the dataset in Power BI and create the second report based on it, then save it to the .pbix file". Great!

But, when I save the .pbix file (under the new name) and then publish it again into the same workspace as the original one, then a new dataset is being created. I'd rather expect, that it will publish the new report, and the original dataset, i.e. without creating the new one.

Is there any solution for that ?

Best regards,

R.

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mohandas Gandhi.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@rylach Sounds like a slight mix up in functionalities. You can download a PBIX from a dataset (as you describe) but that isn't what you want.

What you want, is to open a clean Desktop file, go to Data Sources, and select the new option of "Power BI Service" This shows you the workspaces and datasets that you have edit rights for and you can select one.

Build your new report off the dataset, and you can only publish back to the same workspace. This method will not create a new dataset, just the new report.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

@rylach Sounds like a slight mix up in functionalities. You can download a PBIX from a dataset (as you describe) but that isn't what you want.

What you want, is to open a clean Desktop file, go to Data Sources, and select the new option of "Power BI Service" This shows you the workspaces and datasets that you have edit rights for and you can select one.

Build your new report off the dataset, and you can only publish back to the same workspace. This method will not create a new dataset, just the new report.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Thanks for the reply.

Is this still true, that having edit rights for the workspaces means ability to read all the data (ommiting the Row Level Security) ?

"First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mohandas Gandhi.

@rylach yes, I haven't heard anything about the rule changing.

So, it seems that Power BI authors assume, that only people having full rights to read the data should be able to create their own reports, right ? If one does not have 'edit' right in a workspace - he can't see the dataset. If does have - will see all the data. 

Pretty bad. I'll submit a feature request for that.

R.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors