Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

kashif
Frequent Visitor

On-premises data gateway (personal mode) Proxy

Hi Folks,

I have been struggling to get the gateaway running. I found out, it's because of ports are blocked here. So I consulted with the network team and they informed me to used the proxy. I followed the following article, but I coulnd't  find the location and the files mentioned that need modifcation. I have installed "On-Premises Data Gateway (Personal Mode)" version 14.16.6549.2. 

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/guided-learning/powerbi-gateway-proxy/?cdn=disable

One thing, in the following guide, I found that there's a windows service which I couldn't find in my server.  

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-onprem-tshoot#firewall-or-proxy

Appreciate, if anyone can help.

Thanks,

Kashif

3 REPLIES 3
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @kashif,

1. You can find the on-premise data gateway (personal mode) configuration file Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.PersonalGateway.exe.config here: C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\On-premises data gateway (personal mode). 

2. The new personal gateway version named as on-premise data gateway (personal mode) which you run doesn't run as a separate Windows service. After you change settings in configuration file, you need to kill the on-premises data gateway (personal mode) process (Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.PersonalGateway.exe) and relaunch the on-premise data gateway (personal mode). 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Qiuyun,

I'm able to change the proxy now, thank you. 

Now, I'm getting the different error, though this is coming whether I use the custom proxy or not. Following text in blue is an excerpt from the main error message, which seems to be the issue.

Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Diagnostics.CouldNotUpdateGatewayConfigurationException: Error updating gateway configuration. ----> System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: The server rejected the upgrade request. 400 This endpoint is only for web-socket requests ----> System.IO.IOException: The server rejected the upgrade request. 400 This endpoint is only for web-socket requests

Failed to update gateway details. You may need to change the account the gateway runs under.
Error updating gateway configuration.

Server stack trace: 
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.ThrowIfFaultUnderstood(Message reply, MessageFault fault, String action, MessageVersion version, FaultConverter faultConverter)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.HandleReply(ProxyOperationRuntime operation, ProxyRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannel.Call(String action, Boolean oneway, ProxyOperationRuntime operation, Object[] ins, Object[] outs, TimeSpan timeout)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.InvokeService(IMethodCallMessage methodCall, ProxyOperationRuntime operation)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.ServiceChannelProxy.Invoke(IMessage message)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
   at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.InternalContracts.IGatewayConfigurationService.UpdateGatewayConfiguration(UpdateGatewayConfigurationRequest request, Int32 maxRetries)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayClient.GatewayConfigurationClient.UpdateGatewayConfiguration(UpdateGatewayConfigurationRequest request, Int32 maxRetries)An ExceptionDetail, likely created by IncludeExceptionDetailInFaults=true, whose value is:
Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Diagnostics.CouldNotUpdateGatewayConfigurationException: Error updating gateway configuration. ----> System.ServiceModel.CommunicationException: The server rejected the upgrade request. 400 This endpoint is only for web-socket requests ----> System.IO.IOException: The server rejected the upgrade request. 400 This endpoint is only for web-socket requests
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at Microsoft.ServiceBus.Common.AsyncResult.End[TAsyncResult](IAsyncResult result)
   at Microsoft.ServiceBus.ServiceBusClientWebSocket.EndConnect(IAsyncResult result)
   at Microsoft.ServiceBus.Messaging.IteratorAsyncResult`1.StepCallback(IAsyncResult result)
   --- End of inner ExceptionDetail stack trace ---
   at System.Runtime.AsyncResult.End[TAsyncResult](IAsyncResult result)
   at System.ServiceModel.Channels.CommunicationObject.EndOpen(IAsyncResult result)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskFactory`1.FromAsyncCoreLogic(IAsyncResult iar, Func`2 endFunction, Action`1 endAction, Task`1 promise, Boolean requiresSynchronization)
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.ServiceModel.ServiceHostController.<ExecuteRunnerIterationAsync>d__15.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.ServiceModel.ServiceHostController.<StartRunnerAsync>d__14.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.ServiceModel.ServiceHostController.StopHandle.<StartRunnerAsync>d__3.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.ServiceModel.GatewayServiceHost.<UpdateConfigurationImpl>d__24.MoveNext()
   --- End of inner ExceptionDetail stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.ServiceModel.GatewayServiceHost.<UpdateConfigurationImpl>d__24.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Common.TaskUtils.ExtendedWait(Task task, TimeSpan timeout)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.ServiceModel.GatewayServiceHost.UpdateConfiguration(GatewayConfiguration configuration, Int32 maxRetries)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Common.Diagnostics.PipelineTelemetryService.ExecuteInActivity(PipelineActivityType pipelineActivityType, Action action)
   at SyncInvokeUpdateGatewayConfiguration(Object , Object[] , Object[] )
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.SyncMethodInvoker.Invoke(Object instance, Object[] inputs, Object[]& outputs)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.DispatchOperationRuntime.InvokeBegin(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.ImmutableDispatchRuntime.ProcessMessage5(MessageRpc& rpc)
   at System.ServiceModel.Dispatcher.MessageRpc.Process(Boolean isOperationContextSet)
kashif
Frequent Visitor

Hi Qiuyun,

I'm still struggling with Power BI Gateway. I'm getting following error, and don't get any particular one even in Fiddler (see below) the red lines are showing time-out error, not very much helpful. Do I need to ask my network team to whitelist IP? I need to provide the reason for the network team for this. I don't see anything being blocked so far. Am I missing some configuration? or do I need to provide the proxy account, if yes, where to provide that? or is it because we haven't bought the licenses yet? There is so much information on the internet but seems to be outdated.

pbig error.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors