Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

On-premises data gateway - email address

Quick question that I'm surprised I can't find an answer for.

I'm setting up a data gateway for my organisation to use with Power BI Pro. For now I've used my own email / account to set up the gateway, but I'd assume that it would make more sense to use a generic account. But I'm struggling to find information on the requirements for this account.

E.g. Does the account used by data gateway need a Prower Bi Pro licence? Can it be a service account? etc.

What setups do you guys use?

Stuart

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The account used for the setup is the one that by default gets granted the admin permissions for the Gateway. This account also ties the account to the Power BI Tenant.

I am fairly certain after that you could change it to a service account. WHich would be good if the account does not expire nor does the password.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Power BI Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it's effectively a one-time means of associating a gateway with a tennant.

Obviously we need admnistrators for the gateway, and the email address is set up as the admnistrator when the gateway is first created (where other admnistrators can be added and this one removed if necessary).

It also sounds as though it doesn't require a pro licence.

I think that all makes sense to me. Thanks.

Stuart

No worries.

You can also add additional administrators via the Gateway on the Power BI Service once the first person has been added.

Power BI Blog

v-lili6-msft
Community Support
Community Support

hi @Anonymous 

For your case, you may try to add other users to gateway admin to share one gateway with others.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/data-integration/gateway/service-gateway-manage#manage-gateway-admins

Regards,

Lin

Community Support Team _ Lin
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
GilbertQ
Super User
Super User

Hi there

The account used for the setup is the one that by default gets granted the admin permissions for the Gateway. This account also ties the account to the Power BI Tenant.

I am fairly certain after that you could change it to a service account. WHich would be good if the account does not expire nor does the password.

Power BI Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors