Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

On-premises data gateway / MS Azure Cloud Server

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the community and this is my first thread, so forgive me if I missed the section. I couldn't find information that I need about On-premises data gateway, both Standard and Personal, so I guess I'll ask the questions here.

If I understood it right, both Standard and Personal gateway MUST be installed on a virtual machine that runs 24/7? Our company currently does not own Premium license, yet only Pro. Our plan is to get a Microsoft Azure Cloud Server and install the gateway there so our scheduled refresh would work fine without creator's intervention. Btw, we have couple of reports connected to SAP BW, SQL DB, and such.

It this scenarion possible? And can this server/gateway be used by multiple accounts, beside my own?

Thank you very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. The recommendation is a VM running 24/7 to make sure it will be turned on when it has to run a refresh. You can create a VM in azure and install a gateway there. Make sure that the VM can read the data sources. It must be able to connect with the data sources in order to be the bridge between Power BI Service and the data.

You can also configure more than one administrator for the gateway. You will start with one account and the you can add members in gateway admin center.

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. The recommendation is a VM running 24/7 to make sure it will be turned on when it has to run a refresh. You can create a VM in azure and install a gateway there. Make sure that the VM can read the data sources. It must be able to connect with the data sources in order to be the bridge between Power BI Service and the data.

You can also configure more than one administrator for the gateway. You will start with one account and the you can add members in gateway admin center.

Hope this helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ibarrau,

thank you for your feedback.

Our company is going to request a VM on Azure Cloud.

Are all VMs on Azure Cloud able to read and connect to data sources?

That's up to your team. The owners of the data source have specific configurations, network, etc to provide access. It will depend on that kind of configuration if the Azure VM will have access or not. Azure will not provide access automatically unless the data is in an azure service.

Regards,

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much, Ibarrau! Much clearer now. I'll circle back to you if anything else regarding this comes up, if you don't mind? Thanks much!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors