Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dpohane
Regular Visitor

On premises Gateway and High Availability Setup.

Hello,

I have two servers connecting to the same On Premises Gateway Cluster using the same service account. This being in the same cluster, I tried running some tests to see how cluster will behave when one of the servers goes down. For continuity (High availability) sake I want to take all steps that will make sure PowerBI Reports  won't  fail even if one of the gateway servers goes down. I have following two questions:

1. How to force Secondary Gateway Server to be Primary? I tried "Migrate, restore, or take over", this option is not always available when I shut down service/server on Primary end. It was available only once when I shut down Primary. After that I tried to reproduce the scenario again but it didn't work.

2.  How to automate the entire High Availability? If Primary Goes down, how do we make secondary to be primary automatically without manual intervention. 

Thank you

Dinesh Pohane

2 REPLIES 2
v-lionel-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dpohane ,

What you want to do is to automatically set other gateways as the primary gateway when the primary gateway is broken?
This idea has not yet been realized. Maybe you can submit your idea .
But I don't think it is necessary to do this. When the primary gateway is broken, the dataset will be automatically refreshed through other available gateways in the cluster.

Best regards,
Lionel Chen

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi Lionel,

I tried shutting down primary to see if other server in a cluster can pick up traffic. It failed. I was not able to run any reports. 

Dinesh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors