Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ElenaMi

On-premise data gateway (personal mode) is going to offline mode a few times a day

Hi,

We ran into a few issues with On-premise data gateway (personal mode).

-several times a day scheduled refresh fails  with "Your data gateway (personal mode) is offline or couldn't be reached." notification. After users compained , we manually started and refreshed data source.

- the second problem is that we are not getting notification when it fails. The option send refresh failure notification to me is checked.

Is there any health check or troubleshooting steps to find out why our scheduled refreshes fail?

What can be a reason that the owner doesn't get notification mails? how to check that the mail was sent?

How to change the mail recipient?

Any thoughts? 

Thanks in advance!

Elena

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @v-ljerr-msft

Thanks a lot for your clear answer!

Following your and @Ross73312 advice, an infrastructure person was involved. It turned out that a user that had to be logged in to service, kept dropping off for different reasons-->scheduled refresh failed. The current direction to solve it is to to install on-premise GTW (personal mode) on a different stand-alone server with a proper configuration ( sorry, I'm not an infrastructure person:-), can't give more details). After that GTW will migrate to a new computer, dedicated only to him. Hope it will solve the issue.
Alternative mail direction still in progress...
Anyway, thanks a lot to the Super Contributor for you contribution!!!:-)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
efigoldman
Frequent Visitor

Happens a lot to me as well. It is frustrating.. almost every day. 

v-ljerr-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ElenaMi,

Is there any health check or troubleshooting steps to find out why our scheduled refreshes fail?

Make sure you're using the latest version of On-premise data gateway (personal mode). And here is a similar thread in which some troubleshooting steps are mentioned. Could you go to check if it helps in your scenario?

What can be a reason that the owner doesn't get notification mails? how to check that the mail was sent?

How to change the mail recipient?

You should be able to change the mail recipient by configuring alternative email address. So if you have configured alternative email address, also check the alternative email inbox(including spam/junk folders) to see if the failed notifications are there.

In addition, if the issue persists, I would suggest yo create a support ticket at http://support.powerbi.com (see bottom of page) for better assistance. Smiley Happy

Regards

Hi @v-ljerr-msft

Thanks a lot for your clear answer!

Following your and @Ross73312 advice, an infrastructure person was involved. It turned out that a user that had to be logged in to service, kept dropping off for different reasons-->scheduled refresh failed. The current direction to solve it is to to install on-premise GTW (personal mode) on a different stand-alone server with a proper configuration ( sorry, I'm not an infrastructure person:-), can't give more details). After that GTW will migrate to a new computer, dedicated only to him. Hope it will solve the issue.
Alternative mail direction still in progress...
Anyway, thanks a lot to the Super Contributor for you contribution!!!:-)

guys there is no resolutions here.

as long as the PBI GTW Personal mode wont be a service.

The fact we cannot connect to on prem and online data using the ent. gtw is a very big issue for us... cant use PBI this way.

Thisng is when I build stuff I trust PBI connections. 

Now I need to bring a Sharepoint cloud connection to a DB, instead of using PBI bative connection directly. 

not meantioning the fact that SSIS cannot connect natively to sharepoiunt cloud and you need to code it... 

bummer..

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors