Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

On-premise data gateway not prompting for cluster name

Hi,

I upgraded exisiting Oct 2017 update of on-premises gateway to the latest version released in November.

However it is not prompting / providing option to enter cluster name on upgrading. I also tried manually configuring by opening .config file in c:\Program Files\on-premises gateway but did not see  any option.

1. Is it necessary to uninstall the existing gateway before installing Nov 2017 edition of on-premises gateway, in order to configure clusterName?

2. Is it possible to choose a gateway that is currently not upgraded as the default gateway(for the cluster)? I would like to upgrade the back-up gateway before upgrading the main gateway

Thanks & Regards,

Mannu

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

1. Based on my test,  we need to uninstall the old on-premises data gateway then install the new version then we can have the option to register new one. 

2. I'm afraid it's not supported. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-high-availability-clusters

In order to add a gateway to an existing cluster, you must provide the Recovery key for the primary gateway instance for the cluster you want the new gateway to join. The primary gateway for the cluster must be running the gateway update from November 2017 or later.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

1. Based on my test,  we need to uninstall the old on-premises data gateway then install the new version then we can have the option to register new one. 

2. I'm afraid it's not supported. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-high-availability-clusters

In order to add a gateway to an existing cluster, you must provide the Recovery key for the primary gateway instance for the cluster you want the new gateway to join. The primary gateway for the cluster must be running the gateway update from November 2017 or later.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft

Agreed. When we upgrade, it doesn't prompt  or provide option to create a cluster.

Instead, the gateway being upgraded is considered a cluster.

I m not sure if this should be marked as a bug.

At present, we cannot see all the gateways tagged to the cluster.

There is no way, one can make out that ports need to be opened on multiple servers (where gateways are installed) in order to access on-premise data source. User interface needs to be improved to show all the gateways in the cluster.

It would be even better if there is finer control that allows one to configure gateways within the cluster that can be used by a data source.

Thanks,

Mannu

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors