Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jhills
Advocate II
Advocate II

On-premesis Data Gateway Service is Creating Junk Folders in the Root of the C-Drive

Since installing version 14.16.6524.1 of the On-premises Data Gateway junk folders are being created in the root of the C-drive.

Example of folder names.

5HcJpS9f5MoAVWAJnKLa7hsxN1d88vQKi5EHsvWJP8=

qm9Qg+sec8ZLmfBWwguPHlctN1tjKm+TX

ZtTBfUJOzcRXh9uIDL4iuAQjJmyHU42fEr87TIX24Q=

Everyday 2-4 folders are created. They always contain the same items. All items are owned by PBIEgwService.

Folder: Index (Empty)

Folder: Temp (Empty)

File: Cache.Key

I have two servers that I installed this version on. Only one has this issue. The scheduled data refeshes are working on both servers.

Is anyone else having this issue or know a resolution for it?

13 REPLIES 13
MartinTandsater

I seam to  be having the same issue.  about a month ago, I needed to uninstall and restore (recover) my Gateway Service, and I have had this issue ever since.  If there is any resolution on this, - I would like to here what it was also.

I submitted a support ticket for this. It is a known issue. Here is the response I received.

"The issue which you are facing is a known issue and the Product group team is working actively on it."

"I will update you once I get any update on it from the PG team."

Just received an update today the it will be fixed in the March update.

@jhillswrote:

I submitted a support ticket for this. It is a known issue. Here is the response I received.

"The issue which you are facing is a known issue and the Product group team is working actively on it."

"I will update you once I get any update on it from the PG team."

Just received an update today the it will be fixed in the March update.

Thank you so much putting in a ticket and for getting a response. I installed the data gateway last week using the default PBIEgwService account. I saw the random folders this morning and was scratching my head. If you remember can you update this post when you see the issue resolved? I'll try and do the same!

I will post again after installing the March update to let people know if it fixed the issue or not.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for posting this issue, I have been looking for information about it. Do you know if this was resolved with the last February updated? As a workaround can these folders be removed manually right? thanks!

@Anonymouswrote:

Thank you for posting this issue, I have been looking for information about it. Do you know if this was resolved with the last February updated? As a workaround can these folders be removed manually right? thanks!

I have been able to remove these files without an issues. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

With MS Februaty update, version14.16.6614.5, this issue has been fixed.

Regards

I have installed version 14.16.6614.5 and junk folders are no longer being created. The issue has been fixed in this version.

I checked the checksum of the newest connector (2/27/2018) linked here. It's exactly the same bits as the prior version so I haven't tested installing it on my server yet. I am continuing to get the "junk folders" created. 

@seabrewwrote:

I checked the checksum of the newest connector (2/27/2018) linked here. It's exactly the same bits as the prior version so I haven't tested installing it on my server yet. I am continuing to get the "junk folders" created. 

The checksum was the same as it looks like the downloaded gateway installer pulls the bits down that it needs during the installation. I see now that the gateway was updated to the lastest version on my server. 

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @jhills,

It sounds like permission related issues. I think your gateway may have permission to create new folders to store refresh cache data, but it not have permission to delete the cache folder. 

Maybe you can double check on its permissions.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Hi Xiaoxin Sheng,

Thank you for your reply.

I checked and PBIEgwSerice does not have permissions to delete in the root of the C drive.

But should it be using the root of C to store refresh cache data?

Do you know where the path for storing refresh cache data is at? Registry entry? Config file?

Wondering if that was corrupted during the install maybe.

Thanks,

Julie

Hi @jhills,

I think this is specific device issue, maybe you can try to report this issue to power bi team. Actually, I also not very clear for these internal settings and configuration of gateway.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors