Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ggbae
Frequent Visitor

On-prem data gateway

Hi,

I have a report in Power BI service that is connected to a SSAS tabular model (live connection). The gateway connection was configured by a former employee. Using the same data source, I created a report and published it but it looks like I need to set up a new gateway connection because its not recognizing the built-in connection configured by the former employee.

If I set up a new gateway connection, is it going to impact the one already in place? Like can we have two diferent gateways set up by two different users on the same data source? Please help me clarify.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

One computer/server/machine can only have 1 gateway. So I dont think you can install a new gateway ( but you can install another gateway in a separate machine that is connected in the same network as the machine that has the datasource)

To add a connection within an existing gateway, you need to be an admin of the gateway. If the former employee has given you the access to admin the gateway, then you can set up another connection.

Just to summarize, setting up gateway is a 2 step process:
1- install gateway in machine

2- set up datasource connection in the gateway

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Tutu_in_YYC
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

Hi ggbae, 

I dont think you need to create a new gateway, instead, try to get access to use the configured gateway. And i dont think you can install 2 gateways in one machine anyway.

Tutu_in_YYC_0-1655153677992.png

If you not able to do that ( due to the former employee is gone and dont have the credential to go in and manage the gateway), then ouff.. you may need to delete that gateway in the machine and reinstall. Very risky though.

If you are able to reinstall gateway, consider using service account so that it can be taken over by another user.

Thank you for your response.

I tried using the gateway connection set up by the former employee but it does not show up. Cannot I just create a new gateway connection and use that gateway to add the data source for my report keeping the one set up by the former employee intact?

One computer/server/machine can only have 1 gateway. So I dont think you can install a new gateway ( but you can install another gateway in a separate machine that is connected in the same network as the machine that has the datasource)

To add a connection within an existing gateway, you need to be an admin of the gateway. If the former employee has given you the access to admin the gateway, then you can set up another connection.

Just to summarize, setting up gateway is a 2 step process:
1- install gateway in machine

2- set up datasource connection in the gateway

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors