Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

tmrrow
Frequent Visitor

On-prem Gateway HA Mode test

Hi All, 

I have recently upgraded my PBI On-Prem Gateway to March 2018 version in order to test HA mode. 

I have successfully setup a HA gateway service on another server and the application is reporting that the connection is successfull. 

I was expecting to test this HA mode by stopping the Gateway service on the primary server. But the 'Manage Gateways' section on the PowerBI website reports the gateway is down.

How do we test HA mode?

3 REPLIES 3
PowerDAX
Resolver III
Resolver III

From my experience, HA is in its infancy and not working as expected.

True, the gateway shows down but the backup will still process the scheduled/manual refreshes.  

1. There is nothing that shows that the status of the primary is down but backup is good (or vice versa).

2. With the primary down, you cannot check the status of the data sources on the backup

3. You are unable to align new datasets to the gateway while the primary is down

As well, there is no way (even via powershell) to temporarily take the primary offline, switch primary/backup, etc.

powerdax.com

Cheers for your reply, 

I'm sure I did test a few dashboards while the Primary gateway was down and they didn't refresh. 
Might test again...If that works I'm happy.

HI @tmrrow,

Did his suggestion works for your scenario?

Regard,

XIaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors